Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Plants for the duck pond

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plants for the duck pond
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:39 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi . I have Khaki Campbells and Saxony ducks and drakes . They have a nice big pond that they can swim in however I want to plant some plants in and around it for them.

What do you recommend, I would like plants that hopefully they wont eat but will encoruge bugs ect for them and plants for shelter ect.

I was think some sort of Reed to help filter the water and i would love to put some colourful water lillies in too but did n't know if they would eat them or if they would be toxic to them.

We are also setting up a small waterfall to keep the water circulating to minimise mozies ect.

One last question I have a poly (as in same material as poly tanks are made from)dog kennel , would this be suitable for themas housing,if i put bedding in it, it is quite large.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:31 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

The polly house will be fine if it is well ventillated and does not get too warm in the summer.

Some good pond plants are the Iris family (Iris ensata or japanese water iris) very hardy, stunning blooms in the early summer in a wide range of colours. They are also a lovely foilage plant.

Waterlilies are good, provided the varieties you choose are suited to your area, sometimes in very cold climates they wont flower - or spread very well.

Here is a link that should proide you with useful information (may take a while to load)

http://www.ozwatergardens.com.au/zonemap.htm

Regards

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:03 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thank you for that. ducks thank you too :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

let me know what you do,, I had the same question. I was planning to plant Taro, which is a pacific island plant. It likes semi shade and lots of water. Just don't know if the ducks are going to eat it.

I don't have a natural pond but a hard baby/pet pool. I am going to dig a hole in the ground to sit the pool flat and ground level, and then plant around. I will also install a drainage pipe underneath to empty and clean the pool. I will have photos when I finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hello fourbreeds

How did you go at chosing the plants?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:04 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Jonez
I am getting some water liilies from my dads when I go up there next.And i am on the hunt for a qld supplier of pond plants, I am getting some reeds , and tall grasses , plus some oxgenating plants. I have decided that they will be all planted in pots then placed in the pond , just in case we move after the two years , i then can divide them plant half in the pond and take the other half with me.

When I get them I will post pics ect.
I was also told this is a good time toplant as they ar dormaint and will shoot up when the weater gets warmer.