Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Re sexing geese

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re sexing geese
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:44 pm 

Hi,

Assuming all goes well and you manage to determine the sex of the goslings, then how do you work out which is which when they rejoin their family?

I have five brown Chinese goslings, almost 4 months old, we failed to work out what they were when we tried to sex them before, but then I figured what would be the point of knowing if you didn't separate them .

Now that I want to sell them the sexing will have to be done, but once that's done, then what, unless I can mark them with something I'll not know which is which.

Their father wears an orange anklet, I bought him with it attached, I don't think that was a sex ID, more like something to do with showing, but I really don't know.

I'm anxious to sell the gosling because their mother is now sitting on another six eggs, if they all hatch out, then the older gosling will feel like displaced citizens. Hard to know what to do, I really didn't think geese were such prolific breeders, and not at this time of the year.
neelloc21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:45 pm 
OK

This is the method I use, it is both simple and complex to use, so use what you like of my system.

I use quality cable ties (black) for the breeding birds and cheap coloured cable ties for gosling's.

For the breeding birds I use coloured 4mm plastic tubing over the cables ties to tell me the story about the bird. The tubing comes in lots of colours.

I use one colour for males (blue) and another colour for females (red), I place this band on one leg. This tells me the sex of the bird. If you want the breed with trios, add another colour on the females leg to tell them apart. I always use the same side leg, eg the right leg is the "sex" leg.

I then place two bands on the other leg, this can be two the same colour or a combination of colours. I place the same combination of colours on the breeding pair, e.g. two yellows.

Then when the gosling's are are born and you know who the parents are you can place a cheap cable tie around it leg, eg two yellows. These cable ties normally come in 6 colours.

When you sex them and decided which you are going to sell, then you can place the red or blue band on the "sex" leg. If you are going to keep them, you band them with the 4 mm tubing as in breeding bird, but if you do not want to pair them yet, just place the band on the "sex" leg.

So now all the birds can be in one flock and it is very easy to know which bird is which and who are parents and children, for sale or not.

Another band that can be used is a year of birth band on the "sex" leg, pick a colour for each year, eg brown for 2008 breeding season.

The reason I use this system is because I have 12 of the possible domesticate geese available in Australia x 3 breeding pairs (am working on it) plus goslings and auction purchases, I could have lots of birds on the ground at any one time

:oops: :roll: :lol:

Post subject: Re sexing geese
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:55 pm 

Thanks a lot for your very helpful reply Broken Bird.

neelloc21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:19 pm 
bump so I can find it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:24 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Broken Bird- the bronze muscovy i got from you has a black tag on her right leg. Did you put this on her? Does this mean she was intended as a breeding bird?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:48 am 
no it was put on my Jase, and I left it on to tell me were I got her from, you can take it off.