Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - ducks that never sleep at night

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:31 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

My ducks never seem to sleep at night, they laze around all day then make noise, swim and run around at night time. Is this normal? Also I was wondering how people that have a dam and lots of ducks free range get their ducks in at night? How do you round them up? I am planning in the future to get an acerage with a dam and this concerns me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:14 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Quote:
My ducks never seem to sleep at night, they laze around all day then make noise, swim and run around at night time. Is this normal?

Seems to be! :lol:

Quote:
How do you round them up?

I only have a 1/4 acre block and they are pretty well used to the routine now - follow torchlight really well! A bit of flappy material for example a feed bag also helps - maybe on a pole. I had a lot of trouble training my young Campbells until they were put in with the trained Mallards! Talk about dodgems! - in and out around bushes where I couldn't go, me slipping over in the mud & it was enough to wear my patience!. Making sure they had to go into the shed for feed helped too. I remove the feed at night because they don't have water in the shed overnight - and there is hardly enough room at the moment for them and their feed hopper :roll: I think the principles would still be the same - maybe the food incentive needs to be greater to get them off a dam though rather than just out of the tub! Good Luck! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:25 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I have 10 ducks on a very small dam and had trouble getting them out of the dam at night time to lock them up. They used to have food available all the time. I have changed this to a small amount in the morning and there main feed at night. This works well as they all race into the duckhouse to get their share of food and while they are eating I close the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:27 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thanks for that. Wish they were a bit more like my chooks, putting themselves to bed and sleeping all night!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:26 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

As Booth said Food is a wonderful thing mine only get feed late in day will follow a bucket anywhere. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:30 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

My secret is food as well!! - especially lettuce! They free range during the day ( only on half an acre). I put feed and water into their cage in the evening and then get the lettuce. They can recognise lettuce a mile away and immediately start "chattering". I stand outside the cage and they watch while I throw the lettuce in their cage. I stand back and they generally go straight in to eat the lettuce. My Campbells are the hardest and I usually need to herd them up more - they also have a cage that is not as easy to herd them into so not sure if they are smarter or if its the layout of their cage.
I just love the way they get so excited about the lettuce. Does anyone else go out and buy expensive lettuce just to give to their spoilt ducks??
I might add the wild ducks know I feed my ducks in the evening and I've had up to 30 of them standing around wanting to eat their food...

Jenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:39 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Yes my ducks love lettuce too, especially cos lettuce. I was wondering if feeding them too much lettuce is bad for them like it is for chooks? I know if gives chooks the runs if they eat too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:12 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

They'll get runny dark green poo. It's not good to feed them lots every day - it's like chocolate. It's good for a treat.
Although, we met this lady at last years garden week and she bascially told us of for feeding them lettuce, spinach and other leafy greens! A bit of different greenery keeps it interesting for them I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:09 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Oh really!! My ducky's would hate not to get their lettuce... perhaps I will just cut it back a bit and not give them so much - not that I give them a huge amount now - averages out to about one leaf each...
They don't get much other greenery really...

Jenny