Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Confused ducks?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Confused ducks?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:47 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

OK, so I have 4 female ducks at home. 1 muscovie, 3 Campbell x Runner. The other day, I am out in the backyard with the ducks and I notice that one of my "female" cross breeds has jumped on top of the muscovy and is attempting to do the wild thing with her. Immediately after this, one of the other "females" jumps onto the third cross breed and starts busting the same moves together with the other couple. I had a pretty good view of what was going on from where I was sitting, and I didnt see any parts which could confirm the sex of these ducks.

Now, one of these cross breeds (the one I got from you happyhenz) is noticeably smaller and it was on the receiving end, like the muscovy. The other two cross breeds are a little bit larger than happyhenzs old one. Also, the two ducks whose sex I am questioning are very noisy, they quack every morning and whenver I get home.....I was under the impression that this was a definate female trait....but now I am confused.

So, what is going on here....are these nosiy two cross breeds males after all? Or are they just getting confused?

It seems god is against me having ducks for eggs, every friggen thing I bring home turns out to be a male, except my poor old muscovie which is only good for about 2 eggs a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

have you been feeding your old Muscovy well. how come 2 eggs a year?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:43 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Jonez wrote:

That answer reminds me of the 'why men shouldn't have advise columns' joke in the off the beaten track section. Muscovy lovers must be like men hey! hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:13 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

It's a power thing between the girls. My KC and the other duck used to do it to the tiny bantam appleyard.
Here are some threads:
http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=1507&highlight=lesbian
http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7238&highlight=lesbian

I don't think it's because they are cross breeds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:20 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Brendan

Perhaps they were not doing their sex thing, but figting. After all females may get involved in a fight now and then.

I once saw a male muscovy figth and what he did was jump on the top of the other ( a rooster in this case) and hit him with the wings, like clapping kind of thing... it is so hard and consistent that the oponent could not breath and had to "run away"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:54 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The muscovie actually lays more than 2 eggs, I was being sarcastic. I just wanted to point out that I have had various ducks for a year striving for eggs and they have all turned out to be males or muscovies, which arent egg producing ducks really. I got a clutch of 20 eggs out of her last september, then she moutled all summer and I got 7 more eggs last week before she stopped. I fear crows may be pinching the eggs though, there are some hanging around.
I hope you are right Jana, however it was not fighting. I have seen my muscovie mate before, and this was exactly the same. She submitted, the other one balanced on top, the mussie put her tail up and opened her cloacle. Im not convinced at all its a pecking order thing. Traditionally, my muscovy has been the boss....unless there has been a power shift that I am unaware of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I know you were joking about the eggs.. I was being sarcastic as well.

And about the sex thing you ducks are doing,, well I believe you... but it is kind of wierd..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:41 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

stutzygirl wrote:
Jonez wrote:

That answer reminds me of the 'why men shouldn't have advise columns' joke in the off the beaten track section. Muscovy lovers must be like men hey! hehe

ha,ha, :D
stutzygirl, I just read the 'why men shouldn't write advise columns' topic...
we do understand the dramas as well, but chose not to comments for some unknown reason :lol:

maybe we find it to complicated :roll: to come out with a solution for that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:35 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Update- Well theyre definately not all males, I found a broken egg out the front, confirming that crows were stealing my eggs. However the good news is I dont have to get the 22 out cos I moved house, no crows at my new place! AND my muscovy is still laying, and two of my other three have come on. Im getting 3 eggs a day...WOO HOO!

I note that my muscovy eggs are much much bigger than my runner x capmbell eggs. This is wicked.