Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Query re-pond

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Query re-pond
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Query re-pond. I seem to be forever asking questions. I have 14 geese and 6 mussie ducks. My husband purpose built a pond for my babies, because the creek and small dam is away fro the house and I worry about wild dogs. The pool is about 6ftx15ft and about 4ft deep. We about fortnightly top it up from the creek or dam. I,m worried because I've noticed the last week or so the surface does get a greenish tinge. Sometimes the geese seem to have a green tinge to their feathers. I've tried the bale of hay, and water plants. The geese eat the plants as fast as I put them in. Does anyone have any suggestions? Cheers Phalara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:36 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

is your pond in full sun? this could be causing algae to grow- there is a product called a trough blok- it is some sort of algae repellant and stops it from growing in tanks and troughs- i know it is safe for livestock but not sure about poultry- it can be found in most hardware stores or farm shops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:53 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

It will take a couple of years for the various components of the new mini-ecosystem to reach equillibrium. The bale of hay in the water, new plants & what the geese & ducks deposit will promote growth of the various life forms necessary.
With the cooling of the temp, algae growth will abate. This is something I'm noticing now in my own troughs etc.

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:08 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
What has been said already is very good advise -

May I ad a word of advise - try to keep the levels of goose/mussie poop on the bottom to a reasonable level as you do have a large number of birds using the pond - they love to 'go pottie' in the water so it will build up rather fast. We also have used a pond over the years and have found by keeping this poop level under control has helped a lot. Last thing you need is to go out one day and see yr babies come up after 'deep seas diving' [as my kids call it] with a coating of poop on them.
We use a pool pond scoop - VERY slowly sweeping the bottom once a month or so - the geese will distrub the bottom every time they go in anyway so yr scooping will make little difference to the water movement thing. We also changed the water regularly - but not everyone has the access to water that others have. Bear in mind tho - that it is EXCELLENT water to put on yr gardens.