Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Aggressive Goose

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aggressive Goose
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:55 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ok, so I have this lonely goose:
See Thread: viewto ... ?t=7957845

My little ones follow him around, but keep their distance. I've watched him with them and he hasn't done anymore than reach out and just pull a little if they get too close. They actually are rather large already, only about 1/4 smaller than him. He seems tolerant. plus his wing is broken so he's not moving as fast as normal.

This morning one of the young geese was lying onthe ground and couldn't get up. It was like it's neck was twisted. It tried to walk and flap it's wings but couldn't straighten out it's neck. It seems more to me an injury. Not sickness. I'm not sure it'll be alive when I get home, but I isolated it and gave it food and water nearby.

Could my older goose have grabbed it's neck and when it tried to get away gotten hurt? I haven't seen this behavior, but would a goose get this aggressive towards another one?

This has not been a good poultry month so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:27 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Geese can be very aggressive towards one another usually around mating time mine have never caused this much injury to each other although others may have different experiences.This sounds a bit like another animal was there any marks on the neck?
Sorry maybe Tribe of Honk may be able to help further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:38 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

No, nothing. I thought maybe something got in with them, but there isn't a ruffled feather on him. I thought the neck was broken, but it feels fine and straightens out. It just seems like he can't hold it up and keeps cocking it to one side, which makes him fall over so he can't get up. I was thinking a back injury? Something along the spinal column perhaps even if I can't feel it. I'm afraid I'm going to have to put him down if he can't move.

This is making me very sad today. I hate to see things suffer, but he was turning out to be such a nice little guy...

I'd also hate it to have been injured by the other goose because though he can be aggressive, I like him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:50 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Quote:
Hi Kai, I was just cruising BYP and in the waterfowl section there is a posting for aggressive goose for someone overseas. Sounds like botulism to me, not an injury, can you post for me please and get him to flush out the system of the goose with lots of fresh water to help it, and also make sure there is no stagnant water or mouldy food/bread around…

(Friend cant get on BYP from the computer she is at :) )

Kai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:10 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Well, he's still alive. I won't be home again until this evening. I did give him water and food yesterday. He didn't take much of either, but I think that's because he really couldn't hold his head up. If he's still kickin' when I get home I'll give him lots of water.

His legs and wings aren't paralyzed, just has a limp neck. Does sound like botulism now that I've looked it up. Can't figure what he got into. The pen is really clean and there has been other animals in it (young calves and other geese) that haven't gotten sick. It's also really dry here so water doesn't sit or become stagnent. But I will check for sources.

I'm learning way more about poultry sicknesses than I've ever wanted to unfortunetely. At least now I'd recognize this if anybody else gets it if that's what it is.

That's for the tip and I'll keep my eye on him tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:00 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I lost him yesterday morning. I'd never have thought of botulism, but now that I think of it we tossed some oat litter from oat hay in there the other day and some may have been damp. I'm just glad we didn't lose anything else. Tough lesson learned i guess. Now I'll always keep my eye on anything with moisture.

Thanks for the help, and it did give us a heads up since we were going to turn some cattle into the area where all the oat hay had been stacked to clean it up. Not now! We'll drag it so it dries out instead. At least this may have saved a much larger disaster.

Poor little goose martyr!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:14 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Sorry to hear about your goose unfortunatly it does not take much and yes it could have been alot worse.
Glad the rest are okay.