Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Crows ?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crows ?
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:22 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I think crows had a go at my little baby mussie. It was in the coup with mum, Angel. Had it for 3 or 4 days. Now no baby. It was never out in the open either. I am so disappointed, it was going to be a bronze. No sign of it anywhere. I have heard crows around. They would have needed to go right into the coup. They are so determined. I have a normal door and a cat door.

Patch has lost 2 of her babies I think to crows, she has 3 left. She takes off down to the dam before I can catch her. I am not getting about very well now and it is a major task to get hold of her. I will get her and cut her wing and pen her on the weekend. Being alone here and not being able to get about much has stopped me.

Maisie is still sitting on 2 eggs. Because she insists on sharing a nest she has a built in baby sitter. The chook is a silky cross AO and very fiesty. Hope I get a bronze out of her. She is bronze and white with a bit of green in the dark feathers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:31 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

so the roof is covered?
crows/ravens definately would take babies... but could it have been a lizard/goanna? spose they should be hibernating a bit by now... but you never know...
sorry to hear about your baby, it is always awful to find one missing.. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:29 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

A large coup with a steel roof. One end is closed in for roosting and protection and other end has steel roof with mesh sides. The little one was inside all the time. It was my first possible bronze. All my others have been white or grey & white pied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:45 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Sounds like you need to keep the door shut - crows will definitely go inside to get a tasty morsel. If the door was shut, more likely a goanna or snake.

NellyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:08 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

So sorry Duckie yes had my far share of losses with crows pulled goslings out through wire lost 10 in one day so no love for them here.
Need to be totally locked in hope you are able to sort things out can you take the remaining babies and put in shed ,garage.
Thinking of you wish you were closer.could fix those horrible crows

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:17 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

crows are buggers , :x i have lost ducklings to them, when i first started keeping ducks i have seen them fly down and grab a duckling ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:13 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Jase
I have seen the crows taking eggs away. I have seen then taking plastic camping cups on their beak. I have now a lot of odd socks, and have been thinking that perhaps crows may be taking them to make nests.

If they can take a drinking cup, they could take your keys, or other valuables. They pull rubbish bags apart and make a mess, and can carry a half loaf of bread bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:20 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

We are trying to fix up the pen and make a nursery. It is hard when Al works long hours and only has Sundays off. At the moment we have holes dug to expand the pen. I have a small aviary that I am going to put in there with an enclosed run off it.

I am not complaining on this post, just showing my disappointment on losing my first definite (or almost definite) bronze baby. It would have had some white but not a lot. Even the legs were dark.
I guess it takes time to get set up properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:41 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Bad news Duckie.

I had crows pinching my eggs for a week, fortunately I moved house and there arent any around at my new place. They learnt very quickly what was going on too. On one of the last days I was at the rental, I heard them calling so I got up at about 6am and went outside, they were sitting on the fence about a meter away from where my muzzie was laying, she looked pretty stressed the poor thing.

Needless to say if I was staying there for good those crows would have been removed from the equation immediately, however lucky for them I moved the next day.

I might add, if anyone in the Canberra area has a problem with foxes, crows or anyother pest on their properties I would love to be able to give you a hand (legally and responsibly) . Just PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:41 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I once had crows delicately opening egg cartons to pinch the eggs. They are smart birds once they work out the tricks, and learn new skills :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

When I was little an old neighbour of ours had a crow as a pet. He swore black and blue that it was the most intelligent bird in Australia and he had taught it tricks just to prove his point.
However the impact they are having at the moment on our farm with all thier noise and hanging around the chook pen pinching scraps from the girls is quite rough. I cant say I have had them taking babies but they definatly rival the Goannas for the eggs, thankfully the girls and Rodney are very vocal about intruders and several have not made it back out of the pen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:52 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Sorry for your loss Duckie and sorry getting in on this thread a bit late.

Babies can disappear so quickly. I have lost babies to crows. It was a very hard lesson but made me think about my husbandry practices. Now my babies don't come out of their fully enclosed pens until they are almost full grown in size and feathered. Don't be too harsh on the crows.

Crows are great at keeping hawks and other flying predators clear of your duck pen. A crow family is a tight-knit group and vigilant when it comes to protecting their young and their territory. They are relentless and will drive away many flying predators. Spend some time listening to them. Crows will also sound alarm calls that can assist you in knowing when there is trouble about.

There is a place for everything.

Glennie

http://www.seqwa.net