Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Just some duck pen advice??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:10 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Hi guys,
I have a few friends comming this week to help me with my new larger duck pens. They will be over about 40m square in one corner of my yard.
I was thinking of making 2 smaller pens with one large run behind them. I have 5 mussies and 6 runners. I was going to give them a smaller pen each with water,food and shelter and have the large pen with their pool...Does this sound like it would be ok? I would love to run them together but they dont get along so i thought i could alternate days of letting them out to the big run and the smaller enclosures would also accomodate mums during breeding season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:16 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Your plans sound pretty good to me, and along the same lines of what I have. :D Whatever you build, don't be surprised if you decide you need some "modifications" a bit down the track! Something I added later to my original pens were more connecting hatches/gates so that the smaller pens could be opened into each other to give me more flexibility in grouping and shuffling birds around. I also needed to add some extra bolt-type latches so each of my aviaries could be secured from the inside for easier handling of ducks - something I hadn't needed previously with just the chooks calmly on their perches in the evenings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:31 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thanks! Yes the way i am going to do it is 2 smaller pens with a gate going between them and a gate from each of them that leads out to the main pen. In each small cage i am going to have a row of nesting boxes lined with straw and up off the ground and their food. Then the main floor will also have straw and a bucket in each pen for drinking water. Then the main pen will have their pond and just a dirt floor. I will be putting pavers around the pool to try and stop the water getting so dirty!
I just wanted t see what people thought as these will be the first pens for ducks i am getting made up. I have only had free range chooks before i gt into ducks so pens were not really a issue!