Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - geese vs foxes - advice please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:46 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Firstly let me say - this isn't ideal but it will happen with or without help.

A friend has 40 acre weekender and she has decided it needs geese.! large area of grassland, large dam with mt etna and dog kennel ..why do people think geese come equiped with mountain boots?

when she wouldn't change her mind i suggested she might get a large (advice pls) flock of embden. i hav had them b4 and feel they hav the best odds.
another neighbour has 12 or so and they do well enough each season.
i would volunteer to raise them until adult then hand them over?? not sure that i can but its their best outcome i'm concerned with..yes i know leaving them with the breeder might be better.
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:28 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

If they have a solid are on the dam to sleep they should be ok, but may tend to wander if they are not fed nightly. Geese will plop into the dam if they feel threatened, but if they can sleep on a pontoon even safer.

Pure embdens are rare, and you are unlikely to find a 'large flock' of them so to speak. I would tend to get some different unrelated birds enabling the goslings to have hybrid vigor and be faster devolping.

I have few oddments currently available and only up the road (sort of) :D

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:59 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

thanks for the help.
i guess i'm not surprised that they aren't so plentiful. i should hav said "gaggle" shouldn't i. oh well..
will pm
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:26 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

There were geese on this property before we moved in the foxes took maybe one or two a year usually the females if protecting their young had a good go with the young though I suppose since she has made up her mind then get the cheapest you can get X-breeds will do very nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:19 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

thanks guys....
i'm feeling rather hopeful now.
having this kind of support from others is really heart warming. esp as i find most people think i'm quite on the "not well" side of the human race due to my obsession with the feathered.
drooling over pictures of beautiful chooks/geese/ducks tends to set the onlooker to twitching. nice to find help.
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:34 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

megle62 wrote:
most people think i'm quite on the "not well" side of the human race due to my obsession with the feathered.

Not around here :shock:
We will support you in your obsession.
And even tell you where to buy more :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi, I am only relatively new in the goose game....but totally hooked.... such great companions...we have a drink by the dam every evening we can to have some 'quality' goose time (no, the geese don't drink with us, they have chopped watermelon). We have made two 'islands' on one dam out of pallets, filled with sealed PET drink bottles and covered with old shade cloth or natural fibre carpet underlay. The gorgeous ones spend most nights on these and make a huge din when a fox is around but so far, so good! Goodluck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:55 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Foxes can swim. It depends how big the dam is. So long as this woman can cope with finding headless bodies covered in blood about the place from time to time should be fine. The foxes will also wait as the geese have to eat sometime.

Is the dam the only protection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:41 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The 'islands' are an extra.....saved up and had fencing guys help us build a 'fox resistant fence' (per the CSIRO's site) around the dam and 1/2 an acre. Hubby calls it 'the Rylstone correctional centre for wayward waterfowl'. It was some work...1.8 m crank posts...chain mesh vertically and out onto the 'bent out' end of the pole.....and 45cm of wire on the ground outside of fence, hand wired to the chain mesh base. The geese and ducks come out into the rest of the acre when I am home and working outside. Some of the photos people posted in the gallery, showing fox attacks terrified me...thought the fence was more important than a holiday this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:56 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

hi chookster
sorry about delayed response.
yes dam is only defense.
i feel she might be upset with the potential carnage. but i hav to admit the lot up the road do seem to hav increased their number each year. then again the boys around here are fond of alot of target practice.
m

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:28 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

It is VERY unusual for a fox to swim, whilst they can do so they are more than likely going to look for a easier meal.

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:39 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

TOH
will be harrassing you for stock about the end of september. when i will hav the pens for them
m

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:48 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Nothing a fox might do would suprise me anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:49 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Wow. I'm rather surprised that you have problems with foxes taking your adult geese! Our 3 week old gosling is already taller than our 1 year old pet gray fox and definitely knows how to defend himself! Shawnee (the fox) steers very clear of the gosling when they're loose in the house together. She snuck up and sniffed him once while he was in his little cage and she got attacked. Lol. It was rather funny.
Our red foxes are not much bigger than our gray. Have you actually seen the foxes taking the geese? Are you sure it's not another predator or that the geese aren't injured already?

Critters: 2 geese, 2 barred rocks, 6 light brahmas, 1 gray, 2 red, 2 arctic foxes, 1 english bulldog, 1 italian greyhound, 1 golden retriever mix, 1 pitbull, 2 rats, madagascar hissing cockroaches, turtles, fish.
http://www.mysticgardenexotics.webs.com

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:23 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

We dont have any other predators in mainland Australia apart from wild dogs in some parts, which behave quite differently to the fox. I have seen many a fox with a goose in its mouth, and very large muscovy drakes, which are more of a handful than the geese - but i assure you they manage.

Foxes are remarkable animals and i admire them - just not on my farm.

Honk