Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Advise for a beginner

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advise for a beginner
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi All,
I am new to the forum & I was wondering if you could please answer couple questions for me.

I have just moved to the country--I have a 900sqm block in the town.
I already have 2 muscovy ducks (think they are both ducks!!) & am soon to get 4 hens BUT I am longing to have 2 geese.

I love Sebastapols-stunning looking birds & they are my preference BUT I must take into account my neighbours-a noise perspective & hence some people have said -- Donot keep geese at all.
I am after a small-med breed // Relatively quiet & preferably friendly.
They will have water--I have a clam shell at present but further down the track may put in a bigger pond structure

SO

Are Sebastapols noisy & excitable or a calmer , quieter breed?
Can I get 2 girls or are a goose / gander better together? I want more as pets than breeders.

I am aware geese are grazers & have read (somewhere on this site) their diet can be supplemented with a goat feed mix if the pasture area is not huge.
Of course , some wheat at night

I would appreciate any input from you

Thank you
possum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:06 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

welcome to the forum-- ducks and chooks already, sounds like it is already too late for the careful poultry is addicive talk--------sorry can't answer your goose questions but tribe of honk or someone else will be able to give you advice, cheers pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:13 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Hi Possum

Welcome to the forum.

If you have a browse through my site i have tried to cover most of the qs you asked.

http://tribeofhonk.backyardpoultry.com/

If i was you, i would try to conserve the breed and get a pair to breed from. They are very rare and need people keeping them going, every little bit helps.

All geese will make noise, the noisiest are the Chinese, but i have not found any one breed to be quieter than the other - hand raising does help to a degree.

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:29 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I've found my Sebastopols to be a very nervous breed. I noted at the Canberra Nationals recently that Dr Harry's Sebs were constantly "scrummed up" at the back of the cage, away from people. Hand rearing with a lot of human interaction may calm them down

For a much sedater breed, try Toulouse, the gentle giants. I find them to be the quietest noise wise too. My Pommeranians are the the noisiest including intermittent honking through the night.

Jacquie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:10 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

The area that you are on is too small for geese 900 sqm block is much too small.You will have problems if you try to do it.
But hey this is my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for your info to date
Honk , I enjoyed your website--it was very informative & some great pics.
Pam I do have the poultry bug.
I do wildlife care & am often outside dealing with possum "things"& I look up & find Olivia & Sarsha-my muzzies -doing things that make me laugh-they are just so entertaining . :lol:
I have only had one egg so far but i was so excited ,I rang up my sister & told her.
I have had them for about 3 weeks now & they are gaining confidence daily in dealing with me. They used to run from me -now Olivia comes toward me ,Sarsha is still a little tentative .
My chooks are coming in couple weeks time.
I love the look of many geese but I think Toulouse are tooo big for me Jacquie but I appreciate your comments.
I am now concerned re macl27 opinion- That my block is way too small. I want whatever I have to be happy :roll:
Any comments re that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:34 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I will defer to Honk and BB of course since they have way more experience than me but would have thought it is on the small side as well - especially when consider it's a 900sqm block but you have to subtract what the house,driveway, garage, patio, shedding would take and account for chooks and ducks also sharing it which could reduce the amount of grass to graze a fair bit.

You can supplement with goat feed but I though it was more bulk than an equal substitute? IE I wouldn't want to depend on it but would give it more in really cold weather as a bit extra to nibble in the shed at night with oats etc since they're burning more energy in the cold.

The other thing is that while some breeds of geese may be relatively more quiet than others I'm not certain any goose would be considered QUIET. My lot, despite being Chinese, are pretty quiet. They'll chat with me when I let them out, offer them a treat, ask if they want to go to the dam etc but it's a soft under-their-breath noise mostly vs my various neighbors farmyard geese flocks that are WAY noiser, with frequent honk-offs... but when they want to be heard, I've heard them from my neighbors neighbors property and could probably hear them further on a clear day. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:38 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Looks like my dream of being a geese owner is going down the tube!! :( :(