Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Gaggle

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gaggle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:17 am 
I placed an ad in my local paper 'Geese Wanted'. Got a couple of calls and everyone said the same thing "You can have our geese if you can catch them, otherwise they're going to be shot."

I only wanted 6 geese, I now have 14 :shock: They're all cross breeds I think. Some look like toulouse and roman crosses and 8 of them look pretty much like pilgrims.

Anyway, despite the lovely dam I provided them with and the buckets of wheat I throw out for them, they all hate me and run off in a panic as soon as I come near. Does anyone have any advice about making this wild bunch a little more tame?

Thanks
Carolyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:24 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

You did well :lol:
They will quieten down never enough probably that you can touch them when you go out with a bucket call them they will get the idea not silly animals they all relate well to food just give it time.Then you will find when they see the bucket or in my case they hear the feed bins being opened they come running :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:27 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

In my (somewhat limited) experience, geese tend to be shy/timid, unless hand reared. Ours (all bought as adults) will come within a few metres of us (especially when we have food), but usually prefer to star farther away.

Ben.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:06 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I got my first geese as adults and they didn't take long to quieten down. I got them to come to me with bribery of food .They love their bit of bread in the afternoon and come running when they see the bread bags. But then again food of any kind is a good way to gain their trust as well as patience and kindness and softly spoken words.
They will come to accept and trust you very soon.
Good luck and enjoy them.
Are you going to post some pics soon ?

Val

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:19 pm 
Bribery it is then. Thanks for your help. I'll try and get some shots of them on the weekend.

Thanks
Carolyn

Post subject: Re: Gaggle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:48 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I bought a seb female recently, when she arrived I picked her up without even thinking that she may peck me and put her into the pen. She came with a duck which I was told she was bonded with. Both were standoffish and afraid of us to begin with. I free range all of our ducks and chooks and they all co-exist pen wise too.

We are quiet, gentle people, our children do not chase or catch the hens,ducks or geese. After about 3 or 4 days she realised there was nothing to worry about and came to rest up near the house, now she has been here for a couple of weeks she seeks us out with the bucket of feed, she follows us to the pen as well. We can't touch her yet, but I do say yet.

Quiet, food and patience is the key.