Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How many eggs do geese lay before sitting.?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:36 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

We have two African geese - females, both have been laying for about one month 1 has gone broody on 6 eggs and the other one has layed about 16-17 eggs and does not look like going broody. Should i remove the older eggs or leave them until she sits, if she ever does. How many do they normally lay before sitting ? It is their first time at laying/sitting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:45 pm 
each goose has a "magic" number of eggs that they will lay before sitting. As you have found out each goose is different.

Another interesting observation is that number will increase by one each year for a few years, then stablise.

I have 18 pairs currently penned, the size of the clutch various from 5 to 16. Some laid their eggs over a period of 2-3 weeks, others laid 8 eggs, an eggs a day, then sat on the 8 day.

As for removing eggs, I would not, she may just stop laying and not sit.

I had a turkey hatch 23 eggs in one clutch, all her own eggs, so at 1 egg a day, the oldest was 23 days old and they all hatched within 30 minutes of each other.

this question is great, because the only reason I know the answer is because I have so many pairs, that you start to see a pattern, chaos, they will do what ever they want, when they want.

This year I have 5 females free ranging (not enough pens built in time), they all laid in one next, so 24 eggs in the first nest was easy, then one goose sat. So the remainder moved to another location and laid only 9 eggs, but a goose then sat on them. The last time I checked the third nest had 15 eggs in and I am wondering who will claim that nest.

As for nests, I built nice big dark weatherproof nest in each of the pens, all are happy to use them except one, she laid her eggs outside, I would move them inside, she would move them and lay again, I would move them again, I gave up at 5 eggs, she laid another 3 and is currently sitting on them outside the door to the nest and the gander sleeps in the nest at night to guard her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:59 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

That is amazing, 23 days difference and all hatching around the same time! Is that because they don't start to incubate until she actually starts sitting on them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:06 pm 
yes