Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Baby Goslings.. ok what to do now??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:27 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi there..

We got some new goslings yesterday at Euroa ( great day out)... now we have them home and under a light for heat...

They are 3 days old I am wondering WHAT conatiner isgoing to be best for their feed? I am using chicken crumbles untill this arvo, as I couldnt get NUDUCK. Should I use a hanging chick feeder as these lil tykes have upended everything else.

Also as far as water goes they have sat in everything I gave them..lol .. So my only option was a 250ml measuring cup attached to the side of the box.. its holding for now. Any suggestions?

We are going to take them outside a few times tody for fast walkies and grass but are also bringing them some grass inside as it is really cold...

Would it be ok to give them a contaner of water to splash in inside( Fully supervised) if they are dried off after and kept under heat?

Would LOVE to hear back from you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:55 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I am raising ducklings not goslings but expect they will be much the same - messy little buggers that get things very wet in a short time! :lol: I find it useful to have at least 2 plastic crates/tubs on the go at the same time & at that age use a heavy coffee cup in a another container to catch some of the overflow. Feed container - as heavy on the base as possible too - at day old I start off with the heavy bowl part of mortar & pestle (sorry forget which bit is which :oops: ) and increase in size at they grow - which is very quickly! :o When the youngsters get too wet pop them in the dry container for a while. Also something to perch & dry off on like a rolled up towel or towel on a brick elevated above their wader works quite well - or towel in your lap... Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:36 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

:D

Thankyou HEAPS for the info cackles..

It might just be a walk around the lounge today a few times with me on a tarp sprikled with grass. Pouring outside and the min temp for today was meant to be -3.!!

Rather they wait for a little bit better weather for them and for me.

Coffee mug and MP idea is awesome!!

Will keep you posted. ^5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:16 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Glad to hear they are making a mess already.
Must have forgotten to tell you they were 100x meesier than chooks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I use the water containers that you buy for chickens but yes something heavy glass shallow bowl.
Raining so not fair beautiful hot day here.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:19 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Awwwww.. dont worry I am PRAYING.. chanting.. practicly threatening to run naked through the paddocks.. IF the bloomin rain goes to your house Macl.

NOT trying to be ungreatful to the Powers that be who send the rain.. but sheesh.. NOT on the day I need to wash and mop and take my babies for a walkies..lol

Oh.. and their lamp just went dead.. electrical NOT globe.. so they are in front of the fire in a diff crate HOPEFULLY that will keep them awarmer. otherwise they are going in the brooder with the chicks./ Can ya do that??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:43 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

They might be a bit big and boisterous for the chicks but probably would get along ok.

Regarding water......I saw a thread a few days ago where someone had a wire mesh platform with the water container on top. This meant that any spillage went through the mesh and was caught in a second bowl under the mesh. Very clever idea as it kept the other half of the box and their food relatively dry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:37 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks for that Schnapper. Might try to make one later on today.

There was initial hell to pay from the chicks.. they all jumped round, flapped wings had a fit.. and the poor goslings looked like they were left at the alter. The looks on their faces was heartbreaking.. BUT......

One lil gosling got sick of all the commotion.. wandered under the globe, pecked at a chick then sat down for a nap.. Slowly everyone followed and now they are all feeding and playing together.. but it is ONLY untill their Daddy gets home.

On the other hand.. if you have hints on how to stop a jealous calf ( 8 months) from pushing down the safety pens( admittedly in her barn) for the new ducks and stealing their food.. PLEASE feel free..lol

I threatened her with the mobile butcher.. She flicked her ail at me and snorted as she left the yard.. I SWEAR there was a giggle... Darn Jersey knows she isnt made for meat.. grrr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:17 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Sara,

Barastoc NUDUCK is now called Barastoc Gamebird Grower, it's exactly the same stuff but in a new sack. I think it was $22.50 from megamerch :) You have to order it in though.

This is what I use to feed and water my 8 babies:

All autofill, the big blue one on the right is for the parents, just an old tub I put a float valve in ($12 from megamerch). The small blue container is an autofill dog bowl you can get from thinking pets behind bunnings for $35 (which is a rip, but I needed it!). They're normally about $20 from possum pets, but they were out! You'll need a 3/4 female to 1/2 inch barb to use it with 13mm poly, I have mine connected to my small tank connected to my shed. I put pebbles in the bottom so they don't drown, but after 3 days they're very steady on their feet. The tall bit of 100mm poly pipe is full of nuduck with a hole down the bottom to let it out when they peck at it. To fill it I just take the cap off and pour new nuduck in. Works very well and cost nothing because I had bits laying around!

Glad to hear you had a good time at euroa, hope this helps you out! Now I have to get back to repairing my gosling's self esteem, I told them they weren't good enough for you and they're so upset :P

Kenny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:24 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Looks like a great set up!

Well I am going to have to pop you in the nose Kenny! Your lil water-babies are ALWAYS good enough for me. Its YOU who got separation anxiety..lol

Will get that feed ordered in for the bubs... Have you tried over at Haymarket?
I might give them a call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:50 pm 
Swan
Swan

Ken your set up looks good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:58 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Lintonpair wrote:
Looks like a great set up!

Well I am going to have to pop you in the nose Kenny! Your lil water-babies are ALWAYS good enough for me. Its YOU who got separation anxiety..lol

Will get that feed ordered in for the bubs... Have you tried over at Haymarket?
I might give them a call.

It's not my fault!! They're so cute :P I didn't expect all 8 to bloody hatch, so now I do have spares :D

I get most things from the haymarket because they're quite good with price, didn't have the gamebird grower last time I was there though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:01 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

veg gardener wrote:
Ken your set up looks good.

Thanks Ben! I like to automate things, I just dread my animals are going to go hungry/thirsty.