Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What do I feed hand raised gosling

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:15 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have been told not to give goslings bought mash as it contains antibiotics (I thought these were supposed to be good for them :?: ). Does any one have a mash recipe I can make up to feed my toulouse goslings that I am had rearing. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:46 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hmm I can answer this one as I am just going through it.. but PLEASE pay attention to other folks on here especially..lol I am but a Goosie newbie.

You can use baby chick starter if it is all you have.. it does have the anti coccidiosis medication in it.. NOT needed by the geese though it wont harm them.
You can buy Barastock Nu Duck crumbles for them.. it has just changed it's name though, but is still made by Barastock.Barastoc NUDUCK is now called Barastoc Gamebird Grower. That is for duckies and goslings.

Grass from outside is really good too mine are only 3 days old and are going stupid on it. We went for a walk today and they had a blast.

Look for anything Tribe of Honk has written on the subject. His personal website is awesome and has gr8 info about rearing chooks, ducks and geese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:48 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I give mine turkey starter, bred a few the last few years with no ill effects so far.
Have used chick starter as well.
Would be interesting to hear what others are doing also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:49 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks, I did a search of the forum before I posted but could only find feed advice on ducks and chooks. Will check out Honks website. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:58 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Ours hatched just under a week ago.

So far we have been feeding them chick starter, lettuce, cabbage and they have been eating the grass shoots which are coming up.

(not hand raising though).

Ben.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:22 pm 
chick and duck starter is OK, but just remember they are not like chooks and duck they do not eat meat, so will not eat flies or worms etc.

Most "starter" use meal by-products to boost the protein so use a supplrment and green feed as the main feed.

It is very importnat to feed green feed, if you intend them to eat this when they are adults. So grass from one day is the best, try getting some old flower pots and plant about 20 or so with grass seed and give them one each day. When you take it away, water again and it should grow back.

Also geese process their feed very quickly so they can get enough nutrian each day, thus they eat more than chooks and ducks and they need lots of water to process the food.

But TOH is the expert, so have a look at his website. It is because of him I got into geese

Most of it is common sense, what would they eat if still with mum and dad on dam. Lot of grass with lots of water. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:13 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

:)

I have been cutting grass and clover all day. so the Goslings have had heaps of water and grass as well as some chicken starter .. Mind you the 10 chicks they are sharing a home with untill tomorrow like to steal the grass too.. Soooo back to cutting more.

( They even had their first swim in a little tub.. OMG Messy lil folks) :lol: