Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - WHAT TYPE OF FLOORING TO USE FOR MY GOSLINGS?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:09 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

FINALLY the 2nd lamp has arrived and I can move the Goslings OUT of the chicks brooder..

I have a serious question though.. What sort of bedding do I use for the Goslings?
In the chick brooder there is a mix of wood shavings and shredded paper.. but I read that the goslings shouldnt have that. They apparently need blankets or old towels??

Also how many "baths" a day do they need? They are getting one at the moment and 2 or 3 walks round the yard.

Any help would be MOST appreciated so I can get them set properly from now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:48 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Gonna BUMP this coz I really need to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:26 pm 
I have setup a shed for my goslings, (expecting 40-60 of them), I have place 6 inches of course sand (left off from when I raised Pekin ducklings for eating) then I will place straw down each day to cover the mesh.

At 10 - 14 days old they will be placed outside with some mother gooses to let them raise them.

Water, I have a round tray about 2 inches height by 2 foot diameter inside a square tray 2 inches height by a 3 foot square.

I have set this up on the advice of a goose breeder that has been doing it for 30 years this way.

So for you straw or a blanket will be fine, the pooh of goslings are logs, so with two, you could just remove the logs each day and it will be very clean until they go outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:51 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hey there Trev.. thanks for the advice.

Well there is 4 Goslings .. and they have been eating HEAPS of grass and the chick starter ( the store has ordered in the NUDUCK for me.)

There poop is a lil runny/squirty some of the time. I am making sure they get loads of greens and food and a little exercise and a bath and we have cuddles. Probably spoiling them.. but would rather make sure I am doing stuff right by asking you all for advice.

Mind you.. I saw a site where the lady makes Diapers for her waterfowl who live inside their house.... Um.. ** blank look** the pics were gorgeous but I DONT think I will be going that far.... Some poop on a shirt or trackies I can handle at this age..but diapers.. nup!~!