Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Starting with Geese

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting with Geese
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:47 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

One of the neighbours! suggested that I could try keeping some geese to warn of snakes, so I have been giving it some thought - even better if they would keep the grass shorter.

I have been reading the stickies, and received some kind advice in another forum, and I was wondering about noise levels. Are there any breeds (preferably ones where I won't have to clip their wings) where I could still have cordial relations with the neighbours?

The other thing I was wondering was how much of a mess they would make, and also, are they likely to wander out the front gate when it opens to let cars in and out?

Oops, one further question. If I hand reared them from when they were small, would they be likely to attack the kids friends when they come over to play?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:03 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Hi

If they are hand raised they will not attack kids ect.

In regards to keeping snakes away, nope, geese do not and will not do this. Guinea fowl are the ones for that, but be warned they are prone to wander and are very noisy.

Geese wont wander too far from their water source, and are very easy to train to a routine. They eat ALOT of grass daily, and will poo fairly often too - it washes into the lawn with 'rain'.

I hope you still consider then even though they wont keep the snakes away, they are beautiful animals to have around.

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:51 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Will agree with Tim that they are not the best snake alarms - in part because they are also liable to be killed by the snake if it's frightened and in part because they can only alarm for the part of the yard they're in at that point. We lost two young ducks to what is believed to be a snake while everyone was on the dam and never heard a peep. Presumably the geese were just sensible to move off and the youngsters too curious for their own good.

They do a good job of grass eatting but if it gets too long you still need to mow as they like new/tender bits best and don't care for super long grass. What goes in must come out though. Over a decent amount of space it isn't bad but in a smaller single yard it wouldn't be pristine. ;-)

With any breed I would clip the wings when you first get them as they may take off in a panic where normally they are quite happy to stick within "their" area.

I have Brown Chinese which have a rep for being noisy and an Embden. IMO most of the time they are not bad - the roos are generally more vocal than content geese. However when they WANT to be heard (usually when they suspect there are goodies to be had) there is absolutely NO mistaking Geese Live Here! LOL Personally I *love* the sound, loved my neighbors flock honking hello even before I got mine, so depends on your neighbors and how close they are.

IME mine are generally very good about staying in their 'usual area'. I had to teach them it was okay (desired!) to go out into the paddocks. Now they will wander around both the shed area and front paddock but have never strayed into the adjoining paddocks and unless I lead them into the front or sides and haul a kiddie pool there they generally don't go there either despite no fencing between the areas or anything that'd constitute a barrier.

Mine were not raised with kids - gotten as young adults or mature birds. While they're not cuddly with my 3 year old neither are they aggressive with him or anyone who has been to visit. They just move off from him and sometimes will honk when he moves too close for their taste. Mind if you were really worried about it you could just pen them while your childrens friends were over.

JMO but geese are great, even if not great for snake duty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:11 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Tribe of Honk wrote:
they are beautiful animals to have around.

Honk

Agree 100%

We live on a large suburban block. Most of our neighbours love the geese, and we haven't had any complaints in over a year.

Chinese are definitely MUCH louder than the european breeds though. However in our experience, it is only a problem during the start of the breeding season.

Ben.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:55 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Tribe of Honk wrote:
They eat ALOT of grass daily, and will poo fairly often too - it washes into the lawn with 'rain'.

'rain', what is that ;)

I have always wanted geese since I read the story of them alerting the Romans to the attack on the citadel.

Not sure if a sign on the front gate, "Beware of the Geese" has quite the same deterrent effect as the dog one though!

Post subject: Geese, my experience.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I currently don't have geese but had them for many years. I found them to be the most enjoyable pets to keep. They are pretty noisy but only when they see you coming with food or if there is an intruder (human) around. They were the best watch dogs. They stick to their own area pretty much, an open gate shouldn't be a problem to them once they know where their water is and that you feed them where you want them to stay. They are excellent lawn mowers but unfortunately do copious amounts of poo. If I let them into our back yard the poo was a real problem but in their own paddock it didn't bother me at all. I am not sure about the snake issue, I doubt they would do anything to keep them away, probably run in the opposite direction. I never found them to be aggresive at all. The only time I got bitten was when I got between a male and his wife sitting on a nest. Kids generally have a healthy respect for them as they are pretty big and the ganders particularly love to spread their wings out to full wing span to show you who is boss. Good luck with your adventures...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:23 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I used to have Pomeranians in the houseyard. I had a 'beware of the geese' sign and it worked well, as did the geese. At least 2 tradespeople said the gander chased them off the place when I wasn't home though more like he was just hissing a bit. I have seen door to door sellers wait at the gate sign for a long time even with no geese in sight. People are scared of them and that suits me in this neighbourhood.

I now have Chinese in the paddocks. Got them for security purposes, they really "occupy" the space. Most neighbours love them, the ones who don't were the ones I got them to deal with. They are now dealt with and no further problems. Geese simply observe and sound the alarm when necessary, and that was all it took. If the geese squawk, other neighbours come out for a look and many problems no longer occur. They are not pets, I have deliberately not tried to make pets of them. But some of the neighbours have!!

I find the Chinese more noisy than the Poms, and I hate noise so I have a love/hate thing with them, the noise probably annoys me more than it does anyone else. I also find things are much better this year, I now have only 1 male, and he and his favourite were moved to a separate pen at the start of the breeding season and noise is down 90% on what it was last year. And this year we have 5 goslings.

I am moving towards getting Pilgrims but it will be a gradual change over a few years, the crossbed females will stay, the purebred gander has a new home lined up (with purebred females) and the flock composition will change gradually to Pilgrims.

I really like geese and do not want to be without them, although being in town (3 1/2 acres) the noise is a problem. Which is why I made the decision to move away from Chinese (that seem to be more of a party animal) back to the greylags which were more placid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:27 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

ps. the reason I put geese in the paddock was because (in part) my neighbours of 4 years ago had a dog and they also discovered they had a peeping tom. The peeping tom had made friends with the dog. It's a darn sight harder for someone to come sneaking into the yard at night and make friends with geese. The neighbours who have made friends with the geese now are kids and stay on their own side of the fence.

Geese being family oriented I find they are more friendly with kids and are certainly upset if the neighbours kids are playing with the neighbours dogs and squealing - must be kids being attacked, much angst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:05 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Tribe of Honk wrote:
Hi

If they are hand raised they will not attack kids ect.

In regards to keeping snakes away, nope, geese do not and will not do this. Guinea fowl are the ones for that, but be warned they are prone to wander and are very noisy.

Geese wont wander too far from their water source, and are very easy to train to a routine. They eat ALOT of grass daily, and will poo fairly often too - it washes into the lawn with 'rain'.

I hope you still consider then even though they wont keep the snakes away, they are beautiful animals to have around.

Honk

I agree with that.....however, Peafowl will almost do just as well as Guiena Fowl.....
As for noise levels, well, all gese are loud but, I've found Chinese are loud and have that unusualy calling voice...Embdens-loud, Toulouse-loud. Pilgrims I haven't found to be as noisy....Not sure on Sebastopols. But Honk or BB will give your more of an idea about noise levels.

If you leve the gate open, they will be inquistive and go for a wonder, but not too far as Honk said.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:01 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I agree with that.....however, Peafowl will almost do just as well as Guiena Fowl..... quote]

Mine must be duds then!

Last season I found a young brown snake happily slithering around in my Peafowl enclosure.
The birds didn't seem to give two hoots! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:25 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

My peafowl fight over snakes tug of war.
Am waiting for their luck to run out :)
All my geese are noisy crossbred mostly unfortunatly they know where the neighbors dam is and the main road used to go down and watch the guys when doing the road unfortunatly to get rid of them they used to feed them bad idea because everyday they would be back around lunch time for their snack.
have lost geese to snakes.