Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How can you prevent goslings from drowning?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:58 pm 

We just lost a beautiful 9 day old Sebastopol gosling. It drowned in a bucket of water.

It's mother started to take it for a swim when it was a couple of days old, it was eating grass, as well as the turkey starter. It was energetic and vigorous, but obviously it couldn't get out of the bucket.

I read somewhere that gosling shouldn't be in water until they get their feathers, but last year the Chinese goose had her goslings in the water, well before they had feathers.

I feel so sad, that somehow, we have been careless enough to let this happen.

How can we avoid this in the future? We have a very large pond which is presently full of water, because of recent rains. It's too big to cover, so what can we do?
neelloc21 :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:05 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

The bucket was the problem they can get out of ponds dams rivers etc but not a bucket so get rid of any buckets and they will be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:30 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

neelloc21 wrote:
It was energetic and vigorous, but obviously it couldn't get out of the bucket.

I put a little ramp and bricks in my duckling ponds.
And watch carefully when they first swim that they can get out.
It is a hard lesson to lose a baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:51 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

It takes effort to swim and keep afloat . When a bird or any animal for that matter, is unable to get out of water ,they struggle , exhaust themselves and then drown . I make sure ALL water around the yards and even water for the wild birds has wire mesh ladder so anything that does get in can get out . This is also the case for cattle and horse water containers .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:09 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Martin Holmes wrote:
I make sure ALL water around the yards and even water for the wild birds has wire mesh ladder so anything that does get in can get out.

What sort of wire do you use? Something that doesn't rust?
I would be scared that small birds might catch their feet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:13 am 

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies, from now on there'll be no more buckets around goslings. It was a difficult lesson to learn for a dumb human.
neelloc21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:17 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Sorry you lost a gosling. Unfortunately they will get into any water container that they can!

I had an incident with a duckling only yesterday : viewto ... highlight=

For the adult ducks I do use plastic buckets - even the adults , some more than others will get into their drinking water containers. :roll: I use lids on the buckets - after cutting out sections of the lids just large enough for each bird to get its whole head but not body through.

This seems to work well - they are heavy duty pails such as previously contained paint rather than flimsier household ones, though. It is otherwise sometimes difficult to find a deep enough container when you need a bigger volume of water in a pen. So, you needn't completely avoid buckets as water containers for your geese.

For the youngsters, as the others have all said - it is the getting out when water level drops that can cause problems in any water container. In my brooder when I turn it into a pond, I use a brick or 2 with plastic gutter guard wrapped around it - for traction or something that they can climb onto. When they graduate to using adult ponds, eg baby baths, I have found that if I just give them a step at the logical access point that they will still try to get in and out at any point at all so usually end up piling some sugar cane mulch all around their "pond".

These are just some things that work for me, a relatively new duck-keeper in suburbia with no access to dams or bigger waterfowl swimming facilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I am sorry you lost your gossie, i too have had this happen.

Just some extra info - i have had goslings, freshly feathered - as in about 5 months old also drown in buckets of water, they try to bathe in them and basically upend themselves in there - buckets and geese are really not the best idea.

For larger goslings i am using 35L mixing tubs available from bunnings, i have them on a slight slope (they are not totally full) and if they can not get out the way they want they just slip out down the low end as the tubs have slanted sides - works a treat. The muscovies also like them, perfect size for a mussie to hop in and bathe.

They are about $7.50 and made of a better plastic than the clam pools, and alot easier for the birds to get in and out of.

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:09 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Tribe of Honk wrote:
For larger goslings i am using 35L mixing tubs available from bunnings

What is a mixing tub please?
Are they black?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:49 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

yes, they are black and used on building sites for mixing various things.

I will see if i can get a pic of what i have if interested.

HOnk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:49 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Lucy, I make the laders using heavy guage 25mm x25mm gal weld mesh . Cut about 120 mm wide , then bent in half and draped over the edge (length to suit the container ) You are right , it does rust away after a year or so . (stainless would be too expensive however) .
Saved many birds and poultry from drowing , I believe .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:14 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Yes please, Honk.