Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - how much food for muscovies

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:25 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

How much should I be feeding adult muscovies? I have taken in 3 after they were dumped at the creek down the road and have no idea how much to feed them. At the moment they are locked in a pen until I am brave enough to let them out. They were very wild and hard to catch and there is still one loose. I will try again tonight to catch her. I caught the others in a ferel cat trap with a string to the latch. Now that they are in the house they are much quieter and came up for food this morning.

I have been feeding them laying mix of the chooks - is that OK? Once they are released to free range they will have lots of food but I will keep them locked up for a bit longer. Which leads to another question - how long should I lock them up for? I have had the drake for a couple of weeks and he can be picked up and returns to the house at night. Would the girls be expected to follow ? I have cut feathers from one wing from each of the girls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:14 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Well done on catching the other two girls!!

Mussies usually quieten down quite quickly! One of my rescue girls was VERY flightly at first but I can catch her free ranging now with very little trouble. All of mine are very quiet and tame.

I usually give mine about a scoop each per day, although I guess everyones scoops could be different? Probably around two cups? I find if they are hungry they will ask for more, if they have lots left over, give them a little less. Considering the time they have spent fending for themselves they will probably be quite self sufficient so will do well eating greens and foraging. All mussies love there greenery, so if they are in a pen, pick them some grass or green leafy vegies and you will quickly win them over!

I kept my newbies in for 1 week which I found was all I needed.. if they are particularly wild a little longer won't hurt. If there wings are clipped and your backyard enclosed they probably won't be going too far anyway!

Goodluck with them, and enjoy THE best breed ever :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:32 pm 
I agree with Flogs totally, I find bread, especailly sliced is a real reat for them, so if are having trouble getting to go to bed each night, try some bread.

Good to see another Mussie addict :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:36 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

my mussies love bread , also try dried cat food thay love it as well

jase