Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Bantam Saxony question

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bantam Saxony question
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have a young bantam saxony drake, I think about 10 weeks old now. His father has had a solid grey head from the start, as did another drake we bred a few months ago, and every photo I've seen of drakes shows birds with solid heads. But ...

This little boy has the most beautiful eye stripes! He's definitely a boy as he's getting his colours and he still goes 'peep'. Is this a good or bad thing? Will the stripes disappear with age?

I'd like to eat his dad (I'm unimpressed with his behaviour lately), so I'm hoping the little boy's eye stripes are okay.

"Well, it was better than being a chicken. I mean, you've seen the size of an egg. You've seen the size of a chicken's bum. I was trying to say, in chicken-talk, 'For God's sake, give me an epidural'."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:05 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Does he look like this?

The stripes went away when he got older.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:31 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I have standard size saxony's, I was under the impression that in reasonable quality birds both sexes should have eyelines as ducklings.
And their heads change to grey as they mature.

Anything about saxony's catches my interest so I will be watching this post.
Love to see some photos of your saxony's. :lol: :P :lol:
Cheers
Kylie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Now that I've replaced the batteries in the camera I can post the photo I took this afternoon!

I'm glad the stripes are okay at this age! Another reason to keep this boy instead of his dad. :wink:

Something else I've noticed with my ducks is that from a very young age the drakes and ducks have differently shaped heads - the boys' heads seem longer and more streamlined while the girls have very dainty heads.

Unfortunately my ducks spend a lot of time in the sun so that lovely buff colour gets washed out. :(

"Well, it was better than being a chicken. I mean, you've seen the size of an egg. You've seen the size of a chicken's bum. I was trying to say, in chicken-talk, 'For God's sake, give me an epidural'."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:00 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

HA! I had a bet with my brother that i could pick the boys by their voices rather than colour...looks like i win :P , the eldest boy we have could be twins with the one above. I'll get some photos tomorrow, we have four ducklings i think and 7 drakelings, one duckling is really really light coloured though :?

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:48 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

elfael wrote:
Something else I've noticed with my ducks is that from a very young age the drakes and ducks have differently shaped heads - the boys' heads seem longer and more streamlined while the girls have very dainty heads.

:(

I noticed that as well. You can potentially notice this before they start to get the quack but it is still difficult.
I found the boys were thinner and flatter on the sides while the girls seemed to have a "fuller" face - puffier cheeks I guess.

Post subject: Saxony Bantam Eye Lines
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:03 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Most if not all Saxony Bantams start life with eyelines. In the drakes the eyelines somtimes appear more clear than they do in the females but in time these disappear and the head goes steel grey.

You will also see this when they go into a moult, all will look the same until they feather-up again.

So don't get too carried away with early culling on head colour with these. Be prepared to carry the young drakes for at least 4 - 5 months to really see what they are going to turn out like.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:08 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

We also got a really pale, whitish duck and drake in our hatch, what are these and are they useful for anything in the breeding pen?

Nick