Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Can geese be hatched in an incubator and hand raised?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:02 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Just starting to research - dabbling with the idea of keeping a pair/trio of geese. They seem a bit difficult to obtain - could fertile eggs be posted and incubated, are they as easy as chicks to hand raise in a brooder? Any general info on keeping geese would be handy though I've been searching on byp too.

Have to admit to an ulterior motive - my neibours kids come into my paddock and steal my hens eggs, hassling the hens. I found a couple of big sticks in one chook pen and the chooks were 'roughed up'. Putting a padlock on each pen/run would be a pain. The paddock is only half an acre - not really big enough to run a large animal in but would it be suitable for a couple of geese? I imagine they may scare the kids from comming over the fence. Though of course, its another excuse for me to have some more poultry and chicks. :D :shock: The thorny bushes along that fence line will take a while to grow.... :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:22 pm 
Geese eggs like all waterfowl are hard to incubate, having them posted thru the post would also decrease the fertility.

As for hand raising them, I do this for all my chicks, ducklings and goslings. Day old to week old in the house, separate brooders, week old until the feather up into a shed, once feathered up, they cam ego outside into the sun and have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:25 pm 
goslings would be better

see this link

viewto ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:33 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Thanks, already on to it, have pm'd shaun