Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sexing Goslings - any tips?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:50 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Our goslings are due to hatch this week (hooray!! :lol: and fingers crossed we do get some that hatch!! :shock: - the suspense is killing us!). So now I am madly searching for ways to sex the goslings. The geese are embdens - I have found a myriad of information but now am wondering how much is accurate!

Obviously, the vent sexing info will be accurate - they either have one or the other - however this sounds like a fairly tricky manuever and with their bits so small it might be hard to tell! Never having done it before on any poultry, and with only pictures off the internet to go from, I am not so sure I'd get it right anyway. So I am looking for other visual clues.

I have read that males will have blue eyes, and the girls dark eyes - while this seems to be true for the 3 we have (Old Man has blue eyes, and Annabelle and Lucy have dark eyes), is that just a fluke?

Also saw something about the colour of the newborns - the males will be a lighter grey than the girls? Although this sounds easy enough, I wonder about it as one of our girls (Lucy) is a grey, and is the progeny of Old Man and Annabelle who are both white (Old Man does have a couple of dark feathers). :?

So, any other ideas or advice from you wonderful more experienced people out there? :D :D :D

You know, one day I hope to be able to ANSWER someone's post instead of always being the one to ask questions! :roll:

Thanks for any input -
HobbyFarmFun
2 days to go and counting....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:55 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

HI

Vent sexing is the only accurate method.

If you have a grey bird in there they are not pure embden as embdens are pure white, huge birds both sexes with lovely blue eyes. ALL the goslings should be a yellow colour mabey with a very, very pale grey overtone which disapears.

Being x breeds they will take some time before you can sex them, often by 6mths old you will have a very good idea both on personality and size - but that depends if you have room to keep them for 6 mths :lol:

Good luck with the hatch.

Regards

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:35 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks Honk -

Hmm - I suspected they must be some sort of cross, as every description of embdens I have seen said white, but the lady we got them from seemed quite sure of herself and sounded like she knew what she was talking about - and gullible me just believed it! :? It doesn't really matter too much to us what they are really - they are lovely birds and we are not interested in showing or anything like that.

We'll try the vent sexing and see how we go.

Not sure how long we will hang onto them - have to see how many hatch first! We do plan to sell all the goslings (although the kids are keen to keep 'just one...pleeeease') - so if anyone is interested let me know! :) What is a good age to sell them at? I would think it is best to keep them with mum for several weeks, but then I could be wrong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:36 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

hi hobbyfarmfun.
i dont know anything about sexing but i hope all your eggs hatch out mate.

regards jase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:05 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

You'll have to post some pics once they hatch! We're waiting on some chickens to hatch. Our first lot. It's so exciting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:18 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Vent sexing of goslings is probably easiest when they are a few days old and not so "fragile." As I discovered helping Tim sex his goslings, the males are very easy and very definate to distinguish. The penis will pop up very quickly once the vent is pressed open. The female goslings were confusing with an extra "bit" in the middle. We deemed by comparison that the boys were definately boys and the girls were the others.

For hand rearing and taming purposes, the sooner you remove the goslings, the better. You (or a buyer) then have to provide a heat source to keep them warm but only for a few weeks. Leaving them with the goose depends on the safety of the goslings. Can a crow or other bird get them? Can they find their way through fences and end up in the wrong place away from the goose's protection?

In a few breeds of geese, the girls appear grey and yellow whereas the boys are plain yellow. Its hard to be sure with X-breds.

Jacquie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:20 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hope this bit of info is better late than never...
I know Roman geese can be colour sexed quite easily from hatching until they are feathered.
The little boys are bright yellow and the girls are greyish in colour.