Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - **SAXONY DUCK BREED PROFILE**

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:14 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

It might be worth doing a search in the breeders directory
( http://www.backyardpoultry.com/statesearch.php )
Or going to this site http://www.seqwa.net/index.htm
Also, you will most probably get more of a hit if you put a posting in the 'Wanted & Sales" section on this forum.

Cheers, :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:32 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks for your help. Bit warm up here at the moment isn't it. It is a good time of day to be clicking away on the computer. See you later,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:13 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hope you've found some... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:28 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

No not yet. There may be some eggs available at some point but not yet. So Nick do you have the bantam saxony ducks? If so do you post eggs? :hiya:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:24 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Quacker. I'm Nick's brother and the Bantam Saxony's are actually mine i guess when he posted that i didn't have an account on BYP and he was speaking on my behalf, the Saxony's have stopped laying at the moment (too hot) but when they start again I'll let you know and if you're still interested I'll post you some eggs if you want.

Buy the way poultry1 the Saxony's have stopped laying but my mussie girl is still going strong so i guess there better any day :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:31 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

:D
Yeah yeah... :roll: I keep getting told how fantastic Muscovy's are... :shock:
I just can't stand their battery opperated tail...the hiss and the stench....but maybe all muscovys are not like that... :? :?:
come on...keep convincing me to get muscovy's will ya :lol: :roll: ...lol....not really...I have enough.... :D
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:36 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I know what you mean about their tail my males goes 100miles/h 24/7 :D :D

Regards David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:07 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

poultry1 wrote:
:D
I just can't stand their battery opperated tail

Cheers

I think that is the best description of a mussies tail i have ever heard - i love it.

IN all seriousness, those who say they hate them, get one and fall in love. When i was younger i was initially not allowed ducks - so i twisted the rules and brought home muscovies - dad now refers to them as his ducks :roll:

Having said all that, i do love the colour and type of the Saxony - they are a stunning breed.

Thanks for the smile. :mrgreen:

Honk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:01 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

You could get some mussies or get a lone even for the mussie show we hope to have around April poultry1. Their tails make great fly swats, they eat lots of them too 8) . They are good to eat to, quiet, not scatty like some of those other ducks :roll:

Bet they would grow on you if you give em a go :P Only problem is, you may find that the shine goes off those Saxony's :lol:

Have I convinced you :bounce:

rollyard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:08 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I have to agree with you rollyard they shore do grow on you :D , i got my first pair just to have the female for a broody girl i was going to sell the male but then he grew on me soon i was thinking about breeding the mussies and now i want to get MORE at the next auction!!, but i still love my bantam Saxony's there great too :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Regards David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Well.... :hmmm:
Yeah I suppose they would grow on you... :confused: :? :roll:
But they do eat alot...would that make up for anything?....
They do stink....what would that make up for....
the hissing and the tail thing...odd...suppose that grows on you does it...
I suppose I could start out with a pair... :shock:
they are good sitters aren't they... :)
I definetly don't resemble them...so that's a bonus.... :lol: :D (joking)
I would have to start out with the lavender and white or another pretty colour like that :) as the black and white, pied or plain white would be enough to make me sick :!: :lol: (esp the caruncle) :geek:
I hate anything black :shock: (with out a green sheen)...so the black or white-winged black would be out of the question....
what type of personalities do they have :?: ...as you simply can't handle them when they are fully grown...esp the drakes hey... :? :?:
We need bantams created...I'd have them.... :lol: :D :confused:
:idea: I might read the breed profile if it has been done...
Gosh...listen to me...lol...I thought this day would never come!...look what you have done mussie people!!

Cheers.
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:30 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Hi Saxascovy

Have to admit the Saxony has always been a favourite of mine too, but don't tell poultry1 will you. I just like their type, and the colour has to be seen to be believed. I know a fellow in Brisbane who has developed a strain of standard Saxony's and I saw them a couple of weeks ago when I was there to pick up some mussies :P (of course). He has been developing them for quite a few years, and they would have to be some of the nicest birds I have seen, but then I haven't seen that many, as not too many around to my knowledge, here anyway.

He told me the breeds he used to develop his strain, and from memory they included Pekin, Rouen, and Buff Orpington I think it was. The blue gene apparently came from the buffs, and I understand that buff breeders get some birds (drakes) with blue heads and some with the desired brown colour. This is what I've been told and read and I could very well be wrong.

Anyhow, they were very nice and if I had the room I would have grabbed a pair. They are so nice :P

As good as the old, fat, tail wagging, smelly mussie, :lol: :lol: Not on your life :)

Hope you have something for the show if we can get enough interest David :P :P .

Take care (I see poultry1 got in before me :x :aaargh: )

rollyard :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:50 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Funny....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:54 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Mussies eat surprisingly little - i feel this is because of their extremely lazy lifestyle.

And yes, they will hatch out a rock for you if needed.

Honk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:24 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Poultry1

*The effect of a mussie is incredible, I never intended to own them until three came into my work and were going to be euthed, I took them and never looked back

* They don't eat as much as you would expect and eat a lot more greens than other breeds of duck, they love to graze, yet as TOH said they are lazy so don't burn alot of fat

* The hissing is the cutest thing ever, its only the drakes that do it really and it is conversational, you will find yourself nattering away to them as they really do talk back

* They don't stink any more than any other duck breed (i would know, I have had harlequins, pekins and campbells)

* The blacks DO have the green sheen, although the rare colours need work so if you see lavs, pounce :)

* Ahhhh the personalities!! Don't get me started or I might just write up an individual profile on each of my babies

* as for handling them.... meh, generally not, I might post a pic of me bear hugging my 8kg drake, or one of the girls upside down cradled like a baby, or balancing on my chest upside down with my arms out and bending over backwards......

* The caruncles... no worse than a chooks comb, wattles and lobes! If its a prob, get them young, then you will be excited when they start to develop and be so besotted that you will love them all the more

* Last words... just go for it, you won't regret it :)

*gasps for breath*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next