Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Goose Troubles with Keepig water thawed

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:01 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi all. i live in Montana (US) and have four geese, two african geesea nd two chinese geese and a duck that thinks hes a goose. It has been very cold here lately (well below 0) and i have tried several techniques to keep the wather thawed for my geese and duck to drink out of. i have bought two heated buckes and they have shoted out both of them by thinking they can get in them and do some hot tubbing. i have carried water to them int he sub zero tems only to have it freeze up. so now they are in the barn wit the donkey and his heated buckets. i hoping they do not try to get into his buckets as im running short of funding to buy more heated buckets at 60.00 dollars each. Does anyone have any other ideas. i love my geese and getting rid of them is not an option. Perhaps there is a trick to having geese in winter that i am not aware of? thanks:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:46 am 

Just build a safe system with a 60 watts lamp under the drinking platform, it works well.

Thanks

Frank

"It's not to the birds to adapt themselves to you, it's to you to adapt yourself to the birds" -François Lapointe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:20 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

GReat answer Frank..and here you were thinking you weren't going to be able to help anyone when you joined up yesterday.
I was going to say too though that if you didn't want your geese getting into the heated buckets to just put some kind of heavy mesh over the top so they can only get their heads into the buckets. I have to do this to my automatic feeders to stop the bigger chooks scratching out the feed all over the ground.
Fortunately most of us over here (Australia) don't have the freezing water problem. I like the sound of those heated buckets though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:52 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

darrssy wrote:
Fortunately most of us over here (Australia) don't have the freezing water problem. I like the sound of those heated buckets though.

Being in Tassie I would have definitely thought your water would freeze overnight!
I certainly have that problem here in the Great Dividing Ranges.
The only thing is it usually melts again by mid morning....we only get sub zero temps at night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:06 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

People wrongly assume that Tassie is cold!! There are certainly colder parts of Australia than most parts of Tassie that's for sure :D . We live on the north west coast and haven't seen snow here. The parts of Tassie that see snow would most likely freeze overnight. Midland areas' I do know freeze as our son lived down that way for 6 months and would be telling us how he couldn't bathe in the mornings because the pipes had frozen from the tank to the house.. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:13 pm 

Here it only reach -40 celsius with the wind factor :wink:

Frank

"It's not to the birds to adapt themselves to you, it's to you to adapt yourself to the birds" -François Lapointe