Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - geese feeding

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: geese feeding
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:34 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi all, I was given 6 pilgrim geese last weekend, and was told to offer them pellets or grain mix, which I've been doing since sunday, but they simply ignore it, and go on steadily munching the grass! They bathe and drink regularly, do good poo, (I keep checking), and seem fine. They were raised with goats, and share the paddock with my billy goat, and they all wander around together, all at ease with each other, but I wonder if the grass is enough?? They won't touch bread either. I can't leave food for the geese lying around because George would eat it and get bloat, with fatal consequences. I have left a container of food near their water for an hour or so each morning, to no avail. I have to lock George in his shed for that time, and he gets upset being locked up for too long.
The geese see the food, I make sure of that, but that doesn't work. The last time I kept geese, they loved pellets and grain, so I'm a bit confused Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: geese feeding
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:29 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

jancee wrote:
Hi all, I was given 6 pilgrim geese last weekend, and was told to offer them pellets or grain mix, which I've been doing since sunday, but they simply ignore it, and go on steadily munching the grass! They bathe and drink regularly, do good poo, (I keep checking), and seem fine. They were raised with goats, and share the paddock with my billy goat, and they all wander around together, all at ease with each other, but I wonder if the grass is enough?? They won't touch bread either. I can't leave food for the geese lying around because George would eat it and get bloat, with fatal consequences. I have left a container of food near their water for an hour or so each morning, to no avail. I have to lock George in his shed for that time, and he gets upset being locked up for too long.
The geese see the food, I make sure of that, but that doesn't work. The last time I kept geese, they loved pellets and grain, so I'm a bit confused Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

:hiya: I remember when I got new geese, they did not eat for the first couple of days....and even longer if they did not have other geese that had been with me for longer to show them what the go is. :roll:
I think in time they will eat...they love their grass by the sounds of it and that is their main diet. So I would only get concerned if they start loosing weight. :shock:

I also have a few Questions: :roll: 8) :D :bounce: :arrow:
How many have you got :?:
Where/who did you get them off :?:
Can we see a picture or two please :?: :D :ugeek: :? ...
If not, can you please clarify with me that they are Purebred Pilgrim Geese :?: :D :? :confused: :) ...
All gander's (males) are Predominately white with blue eyes and with a meaty appearance over all :?:

All geese (females) Preominately grey with White around front of face and over eyes, on paunch, and lacing to each feather. Base colour is a light ashy grey colour (not dark grey or any blue-grey like Toulouse.) Has she hazel eyes?.... :?:

If all that is true, the next step to determine if they are true pilgrims is if when they breed..... 9 times out of 10 should always bring out yellow ganders (m) and grey-green geese (f) when goslings...then grow up to be the above.... :D 8)

Cheers, :wink:
P.S. BB should jump on her and help too/understand what I'm trying to get at.... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:15 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for your relpy - don't know how I managed to post twice - hope I don't have gremlins. To answer your questions:
1. I have 2 trios.

2. I got them from a breeder near Brunswick Heads. I buy a lot of poultry from him, all of which are always vaccinated and wormed, and I've neve lost one through sickness.
3. The ganders are all white with blue eyes, and have a little raised bump on top of their heads.

4. the geese are as you describe, can't confirm exact eye colour, but they are darker rather than lighter. I've had geese before, and these are a different colour grey, as you describe. They are all 7 months old.

5. I was told they are an "auto sexing" breed, and to expect goslings as you describe.
I hope they will breed next season. Hope this helps. They won't let me close enough to get a decent photo, they are in a large paddock and I am reluctant to try and corner them in case they get stressed, as it's hot here this morning.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:24 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

If they are happy just eating grass and have a good appetite for it im sure they will be fine, you could also try giving them goat mix (I think they call it capricorn goat pellets/mix?) which is fine for geese and obviously you would not need to worry about the goat eating it either!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:56 am 
if they are eating grass good, that is all they need, ask the breeder what he feed them, if he did not feed them any grains or pellet, they do not know what they are. If the are not hungry, they will not try new feeds, so be happy as they are.

I am a bit worried about the male that has a "bump" on his head, he has some tufted roman in him, but they could still breed true to pilgrim, so good luck.

If you have any question, you can contact me directly as I am the Secretary of the Goose Breeders Network of Australia, but there are heaps of people on here that will be happy to help you out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:08 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Geese are vegetarian so they shouldn't need to have crumbles or pellets formulated for chooks which will contain meat products.

Generally if you've got good good pasture/grass they don't need too much more. They do like it short enough for them for preference. A good handful of wheat at night and some veggie/fruit scraps are useful supplements and bits of bread can be given but as a treat rather than bulk of the food. I think they can develop preferences depending on what they were given as little ones and got used to as well.

If you're low on grass you can supplement them a bit on lucerne chaff or goat feed I'm told but it should (I think, hopefully BB and Tim will pop in to confirm/correct) generally be considered as a bit of a filler rather than a planned/optimal diet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:00 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thankyou for the advice everyone!. I'll let geese be geese, and enjoy their pasture. I was just concerned they may be wanting more, as the breeder mentioned they had been fed pellets at some stage. but it seems this isn't the case. Much appreciated !