Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - geese,foxes and dams?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: geese,foxes and dams?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:04 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have been told that if your geese have access to a dam they are relatively safe from fox attacks?Does anyone have any comments?I have always locked my geese up at night to be safe,but actually lost my last lot from a daytime dog attack.I now have finally aquired some more and am having trouble training them to walk up to the pen like my last lot.I am very concerned about foxes any comments?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:53 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Unless there is a floating 'island' in the middle which the geese can get on, they may well sleep on the edges of the dam which doesn't provide much protection at all tbh. A sleeping goose vs a determined fox is probably a meal or at best in for potentially fatal injuries. Even if they do have a floating island in the middle a determine and hungry fox probably won't think much difficulty of a dog-paddle and after a few tries will figure out how to be stealthy enough to slip up quietly and nab one. Personally I wouldn't do it as I'd fully expect my flock to all be fox-food or mangled within the week as we've a large and active fox problem in the area but I know a number of other people are more inclined to figure that as long as the majority live and they keep reproducing a few losses here and there are acceptable while/until the geese and subsequent generations learn to be very wary to any noise in the night.

When I get new birds, I make sure they spend a week or two locked into a pen up front before they have access to the dam. If they decide to spend the night on the dam and won't come off, it means someone has to camp out there all night to keep them safe... :swords: Usually once they've been here awhile they've accepted this is home, know where they're supposed to sleep (shed) and that they go into it at night and get their treats there so they've learned the routine. It probably doesn't hurt that every animal here also knows a bucket in a humans hand equals food... picking one up makes you a very popular person indeed! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:51 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for the reply.I guess that was my instinct anyway but they do look so happy in the paddock!!Thanks again