Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - changing water for ducks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: changing water for ducks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

My ducks have a trough and a small pond to swim in, but of course the water gets dirty very quickly...I have read in a Aussie duck-book one time that they recommended to put some pool chlorine in the water to keep it clean longer. I don't know if that's a good idea, what do you think?
Does anybody have any suggestions re: water quality for ducks??
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:19 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I use one of those blue kiddies paddling pools for my 2 runners.
Depends on how dirty it gets, but i change the water about every 3 days, less during rain.
I've got bricks around the edge to make it easier for them to get into it, but helps keep the mud out too.
Don't know about using chlorine, i use the pond water to water my garden - the tomatoes are particuarly good this year :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

they drink there water as well as swimming in it. you wouldnt drink the water in a swimming pool. chlorine is probably already in the water unless you are on tank water. adding more or too much could irritate there skin and eyes just like it irritates humans. thats just what i think though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:05 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I agree with candijane - it is not a good idea.

Most water has a small amount of chlorine in it, but adding more will lead to some definite eye problems, let alone what it will do to their organs.

Placing the pond on a bed of sand or gravel does help, as the birds pick up what is closest to them and play with it in the water. If itis sand/gravel it will not muddy the water and can easily be removed when moving the water.

Regards

Honk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:26 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Ilikeducks,

I agree with others putting chlorine in their water is probably not the best idea as the others have said they do drink the water they swim in and i could irritate their eyes. if you aren't on any water restrictions then you may have to just change their water every 2 days or as it needs it :mrgreen:

Regards David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:12 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Agree with above. Regarding water restrictions, to my knowledge they are not applicable to animal care. Obviously filling up a clam shell pond twice a day should be avoided but it is vital that they constant access to clean fresh water in a bucket/ dish.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:02 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

thanks for your replies. I was afraid it was a bad idea, but I really did read it in an Aussie book!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:43 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

ilikeducks

ilikebeer (Slim Dusty's song of course) :lol: :lol: . Can't help it, first thought that comes to mind. Maybe there is something wrong with my thought processes after all, and the wife is right again :x :? :shock:

Ducks do seem to be fairly sensitive to chemicals, so personally, wouldn't use chlorine. But my birds don't seem to be really that fussy when it comes to their drinking water. They love clean fresh water, and will usually dive in for a bath straight away when water is changed. Still, they happily, tail-wagging-ly, drink water that hasn't been changed for a couple of days, and to me, looks (and smells) really yuk :aaargh: . They seem to have guts like the proverbial "cast iron pot". But stagnant, putrid H2O is definately out. If I'm eating the products from my birds (eggs etc), it is nice to no they have only had access to quality feed and water.

Mallard derivitives (and probably others that I've had no experience with) do seem to mess their water up faster than do mussies :) . I like to change mine fairly regularly, even if ducks are happy to drink it when not too clean. The size of your container will probably need to be taken into account, given that, smaller containers seem to be fouled more readily and quickly.

And, I do like beer :wink: :) :P :lol:

rollyard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:30 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

rollyard wrote:

And, I do like beer :wink: :) :P :lol:

rollyard

i'll drink to that :lol: :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:54 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

i change my birds water everyday,

i only ever use plastic 9 liter bowls

or babys baths ,

i move them to a different spot everyday, keeps the yard spotless ,

keeps the birds spotless

i dont use clam pools, i think there a waste of water ,thay take forever to fill , and need changeing everyday, thay maybe okay for light breed birds, but not so good for heavy birds ,

i dont think thay would be good for a heavy birds legs, with them trying to climb in and out :shock:

ducks love clean water everyday,

give birds, good tucker and clean water
and you cant go wrong,
ilikeducks wrote:
My ducks have a trough and a small pond to swim in, but of course the water gets dirty very quickly...I have read in a Aussie duck-book one time that they recommended to put some pool chlorine in the water to keep it clean longer. I don't know if that's a good idea, what do you think?
Does anybody have any suggestions re: water quality for ducks??
Thanks!

the book i think your talking about , is called for the love of ducks ?

if i remember right , he used clorine in his large homemade ponds for his birds, thay were like small dams, so i dont think the clorine would of been very strong , ?

i wouldnt use clorine in troughs or clam pools

jase

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:17 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Just an afterthought, wild ducks love swimming pools and regularly take their ducklings in with them too! I have never heard of or seen ducks with irritated eyes from this and during spring I get dozens of calls every day at work about ducks and babies in peoples pools! Also, ducks eyes are quite different to humans eyes and are used to constantly being in water, (DO they have a third eyelid??) I still won't be risking it on my bubs... just thinking out loud really!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:21 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I give our ducks clean water every day too. I have a small bowl that is always by their food (about .5-1m away), a bowl about twice the size of that and another larger bowl (I can't remember the sizes) which is only out because it is summer and we have nearly 3 times the amount of ducks we usually have. I refill, but not completely change, the water bowls in the afternoon. They can get really muddy. Actaully, the smallest one I change in the afternoons. It gets the most mud!
We also have a couple ponds but they go through the aquaponics and get a top up once a week.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:33 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Oh dear :( I just went and bought a brand new clam shell pool for my 5 Pekins. Jase says we shouldnt use them :( They love it so much, they swim around and "duck dive" its a joy to watch. They are in ectasy when I refill it daily. The water is bailed out on the vege patch or the lawn, so its recycled. The Pekins are very large and they just heave themselves in and out of it. Jase is there anything I could do to make it safer for their legs so I can keep it? Thanks, Wendy

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:47 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

You could make some ramps if you're worried about them hurting themselves. They soon learn to use it! Just don't make them too steep.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:47 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Jases post was simply his own opinion on the clam shell ponds not as an authority.

I have two which I use for my muscovies and they get in and out with absolutely no trouble- they are very agile birds! I am sure it will be fine to continue using it for your pekins.