Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - HOW TO ENCOURAGE LAYING

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO ENCOURAGE LAYING
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:09 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

HI!! I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND NEW TO GEESE AND DUCKS. ( I DO HAVE CHICKENS, HORSES, GOATS.....) I HAVE 7 TOULOUSE(1 GANDER) AND 8 DUCKS-4 VARIETIES(3 DRAKES). THEY ARE ALL UNDER 1 YEAR OLD-PROBABLY HATCHED LAST SUMMER. 2 WEEKS AGO I GOT ABOUT 5-6 GEESE EGGS. THAT WAS IT. NOW THEY AREN'T LAYING. MY DUCKS HAVE NOT STARTED LAYING YET. THE GEESE ARE IN A 1 ACRE ENCLOSURE WITH 2 SMALL BUILDINGS OR HUTS. MY DUCKS ARE IN A SMALL ENCLOSURE WITH A SMALL SHED IN IT. MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I ENCOURAGE BOTH TO START LAYING.
THANKS, LYNN IN TENNESSEE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:25 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Hi

Please refrain from writing in forums in capital letters - as it represents shouting.

In regards to geese - it would sound like one laid and the others did not. If you are planning on breeding them - you will need to increase your gander population. Geese, especially heavy breeds work best in pairs to obtain fertility and optimum breeding.

What country are you in? This is mostly an Australian/New Zealand board and in general geese have not started to lay this year - mine wont think about it until July. Toulouse are not fantastic layers in the goose world either - probably maxing out at about 15-20 per year.

Kind Regards

Honk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:33 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

sorry about the "shouting". i am in tennessee, usa. it is late winter here. spring starts march 21 here. what do you think are the best layers. i got your site from the magazine "country".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:01 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

The best laying breed of goose is the chinese - some reports put them at 80-100 eggs per season, which is laying for nearly 200 days. I personally have not experienced this. The best laying chinese i have manages about 40-50 eggs.

The rest of your birds will come on the lay soon - as it is the appropriate time of year in your neck of the woods.

Geese increase with laying as they get older - where as hens de crease.

Kind Regards

Honk