Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Brooding baby ducks.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brooding baby ducks.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:26 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey guys how is everyone?I just purchased four caki cambell ducklings.Does anyone know about theese ducks?I was wondering how long to brood them for and why they can not have medicated feed?

Post subject: Re: Brooding baby ducks.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:39 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I kept mine inside under a light for 4 weeks, then put them outside in a pen for the day for two weeks then outside all the time at 6 weeks, but this all depends on where you are and temp's. What do you mean by 'medicated' feed, most commercial feeds have additives, to increase vitamins, growth etc. I raised mine on chick starter and then grower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:24 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

It is cold here.I am more interested in how long to keep them under the heat light.Medicated feed has a medicine in it that you feed to the chicks instead of vacinating them for some virus.Any way here in the us it is the most popular form of feed.Only organic farmers use the other.I was told that the medicated feed was bad for ducks.they should be fed duck food.what ever that means.Also I am brooding chicks with them and they are so messy with the water.Reall reall messy.The chicks get all wet.I only have one brooder.So I do not know what to do.Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:53 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Ruben is there anyway you can divide the brooder in half so the chicks are on one side the ducks on the other.
As yes they are messy .
The waterers are the same over there as here the green ones they dont make as much of a mess with that as if the bowl is open.Raise the waterer off the floor a bit so they can still have a drink but not get into it.
I would give them the same food as you do chickens will not do them any harm.I probably put them on a grain mix after the first three weeks .
The medicated chicken feed has the the medicine to help prevent cooccidiosis.I used it on mine with no problems.
Due to your weather ,we are cooking you are freezing, would leave them under lights for the first four weeks see how they go they are not as fragile as chickens so you may be able to take them off early especially if they have a box to huddle up in to keep warm.
Good luck with them :)