Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Duck Housing - Help needed

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have 7 ducklings almost 8 weeks old and they are housed with their mother. They are getting quite large and I would like to put them in with the main group which consists of 2 other ducks and the drake who was the father. This will take the pressure off the outdoor yards.

Are there any problems associated with doing this. Do I need to keep and eye on the drake and what will be the reaction of the other ducks. I have not yet sexed the ducklings but from some of the noises they are making I think there are girls and boys.

They can see each other through the temporary fence and seem to all talk and sit near each other throughout the day.

Thanks Four Hens

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:43 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Four Hens wrote:

They can see each other through the temporary fence and seem to all talk and sit near each other throughout the day.

you should be able to mix the group without any issues , of corse there will be a little bit of pecking order arrangement but if u keep an eye on to make sure theres nothing seriouse going on then it will all be fine

One bite at a time , or you will get a sore belly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:54 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

chooky2005 wrote:
Four Hens wrote:

you should be able to mix the group without any issues , of corse there will be a little bit of pecking order arrangement but if u keep an eye on to make sure theres nothing seriouse going on then it will all be fine

yep totally agree with mine they had a bit of an issue the the head male at the start and after a day or two were giving him grief back so they should be fine. :D :D

What breed are they?

Regards David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:39 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

They are Indian runners Trout variety. Some look like trouts, one is a beautiful dusty chocolate colour and two are white.
They are really very pretty and growing as I watch them.
My friend who has had ducks before is coming around tomorrow to look at them with me to see if we can sex them. I think she also wants a couple for her garden which is good as I cannot keep all of them and they will go to a good home.

Four Hens

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

of all the ducks I have introduced to other ducks including my new Sebastopol goose and her friend the indian runner I have NEVER had an issue, no pecking, no chasing, not a thing. I just usually pen them together for awhile if you want them to bond and follow eachother to things such as the dam.