Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Muscovy Profile

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Muscovy Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:04 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Muscovy
Cairina moschata

Introduction:
Muscovys are the only breed of domestic ducks that are not derived from Mallards. Native to South America the original or wild colour is White-Winged Black, but many other colours have been discovered through domestication. Muscovys are the only ducks that have red warty like caruncles on their face, around their eyes and above their bill. Most people think Muscovys are “Ugly” because of this but they are incredibly smart and have great personalities and their caruncles would be no different to a rooster’s crest and wattle.
Muscovys adapt well to most conditions although they are considered a tropical bird, they are a very hardy breed and will do well in most climates e.g. snowy and icy conditions with temperatures down to - 12°C and below with out any ill effects.
Muscovys have established feral populations in every state of USA and the Canadian provinces and even in Europe, living in parks and gardens.
A pen of wild Muscovys Courtersy of feathersite.com.

Origin: South America

Colours: Black, White, Black & White, Blue, Blue & White, Chocolate, Chocolate & White, Bronze, Bronze & White, White-Winged Black, White-Winged Blue, Lavender, Self Blue, Silver, Cream, Blue Fawn, Buff, Pastel and Lilac

The last seven colours are very rare and some may not even exist in Australia.

All these colours come in 5 patterns Self (same color all over), Duclair (birds with bold white markings on any color. this patten is also called Magpie, Piebald, Colored and White, Parti-colured), White-Head (any colour) Barred and Ripple
Two female muscovys (background) dark ripple (front) light chocolate ripple Courtesy of feathersite.com

Eggs: Muscovys lay large greeny-white to white eggs and usually lay between 3 and 4 clutches a year of about 15 to 21 eggs, but if you remove eggs from nest and don’t let them sit they can lay up to 195 eggs in a 40 week laying cycle.
A nest of Muscovy eggs

Comments: They are a general purpose breed of duck used for eggs, meat and showing many females bought just for broodies. Great breed for a first timer, easy to care for, very common breed and easy to obtain good show quality birds not as much. Can change colour after first moult or after the first couple of years of its life e.g. a barred bird might loose it’s barring. Muscovys are the most extensively kept farmyard table duck in Australia.
Cost: Muscovys can have varying prices depending on a lot of things- colour, age, male or female, and type/size but most muscovys are a reasonable price. Stud birds can be very pricey.
Immature muscovys with barring most likely to moult out during first moult. Courtesy of feathersite.com

Classification: Heavy Breed

Exhibition: Male & Female Characteristics

Carriage- low and jaunty
Type-
Body- Broad, deep, very long and powerful. Breast full, well rounded and carried low.
Keel- long and well fleshed, just clear of the ground, slightly rounded from stem to stern.
Wings- very strong, long and carried high.
Tail- long and carried low to give the body a longer appearance to the eye and a slightly curved outline to the top of the body
Head- large, aborned with a small crest of feathers (more pronounced in the drake than the duck) which are raised erect when excited or alarmed
Caruncles- on face and over base of the bill.
Bill- wide, strong of medium length and slightly curved
Eyes- large with wild or fierce expression
Neck- of medium length, strong and almost erect
Plumage- close
Handling- hard, well fleshed, muscular
Legs- strong, wide apart and fairly short.
Thighs- short, strong and well fleshed
Feet- straight webbed, with pronounced toenails, one colour depending on plumage colour.

Avoid- smooth and small caruncles. Feathers in caruncles (in adult birds), short bodies, birds with angle wing and two colours in feet

Selecting birds for Exhibition:

Look for birds using these standards (Australian Poultry Standards 1st Edition)

Colours: Drake and Duck

White-
Pure white all over their body. Bill yellow to flesh colour. Face and caruncles red. Eyes blue. Legs and webs yellow or white.
A nice white drake. Courtesy of feathersite.com

Black-
A dense beetle-green or black throughout. Bill red or black. Face and caruncles black, some red acceptable. Eyes dark brown. Legs and webs black to dusky yellow.
A nice black duck. Courtesy of MuscovyDuckCentral.com

Blue-
Light or dark shade of blue throughout. bill flesh colour. Face and caruncles red. Eyes brown or blue. Legs and webs blue to dusky yellow.
A lovely blue duck. Courtesy of feathersite.com

White-Winged Blue-
Blue except for white wing bows. Bills, eyes face etc as for the blue and white variety.
A nice male showing correct markings on wings. Courtesy of feathersite.com

White-Winged Black-
A dense black throughout except white wing bows. The black to carry a metallic green sheen or lustre, with bronze on the breast and parts of the neck. Bill, eyes, face etc as for the black and white variety.
A best of breed male from the UK. Courtesy of feathersite.com

Bronze-
An even shade of Bronze throughout. Bill flesh colour to black with a lighter shade at the tip. Face and caruncles red. Eyes brown or yellow. Legs bronze to dusky yellow. Webs dusky yellow to yellow.
A young Bronze Muscovy. Courtesy of David Masin.

Bronze and White-
Bronze and white, a minimum of 50% bronze with defined regularity of markings. Bill flesh coloured to black. Face and caruncles. Red eyes brown or yellow. Legs dusky yellow. Webs dusky yellow to yellow.
A beautiful Male

Black and White-
Greenish-black and white, as the colour indicates more than 50% black with a defined regularity of makings. Bill black to red. Face and caruncles mostly red with some black acceptable. Eyes dark brown to yellow. Legs black webs black to dusky yellow, the darker the better.
A nice male

Blue and White-
An even shade of blue and white, a minimum of 50% blue with a defined regularity of markings. Bill flesh coloured. Face and caruncles red. Eyes yellow to brown. Legs blue. Legs and Webs dusky yellow to yellow.
A beautiful blue and white Muscovy female

Pied-
Black, blue or Bronze and white birds greater than 50% white plumage, markings to be evenly defined. Bill flesh coloured. Face and caruncles red eyes blue, brown or yellow. Legs and webs dusky yellow to yellow.
A very nice pied male

Lavender-
(standard from 'Storey's Guide to raising ducks')

The plumage is a uniform bluish lavender without darker lacing on the perimeter of the feathers or black ink spots. The white markings are the same as in Blacks. The bill is pinkish, often with a dark saddle. The legs and feet are grey
A Lavender male Courtesy of David Masin

A.O.C.

Chocolate
A good quality white-winged chocolate Muscovy. Courtesy of feathersite.com

Chocolate and White
A chocolate and white girl

Self Blue
A very nice self blue. Courtesy of feathersite.com

Silver
A lovely silver drake. Courtesy of MuscovyDuckCentral.com

Cream
A beautiful Cream duck. Courtesy of MuscovyDuckCentral.com

Fawn
A fawn Muscovy (very light chocolate) Courtesy of David Masin

Buff
A very nice buff girl at back and chocolate barred at front Courtesy of feathersite.com

Lilac
A gorgeous lilac girl (front) blue girl (back) Courtesy of MuscovyDuckCentral.com

A group of young Muscovys, Lavender, light chocolate, and Dark Ripple

History: Early explorers of South America found the wild ancestors of the Muscovy duck. They inhabited the wildest localities, feeding in the marshes and lowlands and nesting in high places (hollows in trees). Formally called the Musk duck or Brazilian Duck.

Eating: Muscovys are often kept as meat duck and for their eggs rather than for showing and it’s because males can grow to a fair size, fairly fast. Most males will grow to be about 5kg minimum. It is said their meat tastes rather like venison compared to other duck breeds. Their eggs are rich and have a dark yolk colour and are said to make perfect pavlovas and cake but are too rich to be eaten in the way of scrambled, boiled or in omelets.

Rarity: Muscovys are a very popular and common breed and can be bought from most poultry auctions and from many breeders however many colours and good quality birds can be rare and costly.

Feeding: Muscovys will forage and graze but are very hungry birds when young and will eat a lot maybe not as much when fully grown for their size. But overall they are big eaters.

Weights:
Drakes- 4.55kg minimum
Ducks- 2.25kg minimum

It is a characteristic of the breed for the drake to be about twice the size of the ducks.

Scale of Points:

Shape and carriage- 40
Head, crest and caruncles- 20
Size- 20
Condition- 10
Colour- 10
Total- 100

Breeding: Muscovys can be hard to select good birds unless you are prepared to keep them for at least a year because most will moult and either improve their colour or loose their colour becoming no good to you. Try and choose birds that have a good size and type and then look for colour, although some people look for good coloured birds first. Be sure to pick nice healthy birds. If you pick birds that fit the standards you will be well on your way to having some very nice Muscovys.

Mules: Muscovys will cross breed with other duck varieties but the offspring will always be sterile (unable to reproduce), some people cross Muscovys with certain to breeds to get good layers or for meat birds. In France Muscovy X Pekin meat is highly sought after. This produces a market duck with extremely lean meat; a fat content of less than 18% as compared to 30% of more fat content of purebred Pekin ducks.
This is a mule duck, Silver Appleyard crossed with Muscovy Courtesy of feathersite.com

Good Links:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Musc/BRKScobies.html
http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/varieties.html
http://www.australianmuscovy.com/index/ -A very informative muscovy Forum
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Musc/Mule.html
http://home.comcast.net/~out1rider/page17.html

Last edited by Saxascovy on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Muscovy Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:28 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Well done.

I would like to point out that lavender is a different colour to self blue.

The cream, buff, chocolate silver and fawn are not recognised in AUS at this point in time. As the muscovies can not be breed if crossed, these colours will be within the genetics we have - just a matter of isolating them.

Honk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:32 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

thanks TOH, i will change it although i did say that the last six colours may not exist in Australia.

i will put pics in now-lots :lol:

PS. if anyone wants a picture of their bronze and white could you please put it in your gallery so i can put it up hear thanks

Regards David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:45 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Wow - great profile, David. That first photo you have is gorgeous! Is she an australian bird? I love her!

NellyG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:28 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Well done David :D

Love all the photos, I often go to feathersite to drool over the fantastic colours etc!

Only thing I wouldn't agree on is a very minor thing, about eating the eggs- Me, my family, and many others who I have given eggs to, very much enjoy and in my case strongly prefer my muscovy eggs to the chook eggs. I don't notice a huge difference in flavour but the texture of the mus eggs is better and they are much BIGGER :P . Might be worth rewording it so it doesn't sound like a fact that they are no good for eating.

Good job :bounce:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:31 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Nelly- the first photo is not an Australian bird :( , I uploaded that in the gallery during a discussion about various colours. Also found on feathersite (i think), so David may have also uploaded it himself :)

Wish she was mine :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:33 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

:( that is sad! If I could have one like that I might even get some! She is gorgeous! But so are some of the others.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:38 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Awww Nelly... my question is which ones aren't?? :upset:

I think you're definately in need of some muscovy loving!! :P :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:39 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

great profile dave! :D
if you need a bronze and white, there is always the one of my young drake, but that probably wouldnt be the best example so you should probably wait and see whether something a bit better comes along :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:58 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Great profile David, full of info, nicely set out, plenty of example pics, & I can see a great deal of work involved too, so very well done :P .

I have heard people before talk about mussie eggs not being suitable for eating. The other week, my wife took a few mussie eggs to work for friends and one co-worker said "yuk, I wouldn't eat Muscovy Duck eggs", but the person who took them home said they were absolutely beautiful.

Just a few nights ago I had two hard boiled mussie eggs for dinner, and honestly, I could tell no difference between them and freshly laid hens eggs. They were sweet, not rubbery at all, fresh, fine textured, and wholesome, and I'm still here to be able to talk about it.

We also use them in cooking, my daughters bake all of their chocolate slices (and everything else that is loved by the sweet-tooth) and they are always great (depending on which daughter does the cooking of course :roll: )

Maybe it is the thought that puts some people off eating mussie eggs, & duck eggs in general. But if collected when fresh and clean in a nest of straw, they are, to me anyway, as fresh, tasty, & wholesome as any hen egg.

It is my understanding that some view mussie eggs as a great delicacy 8) Still, I suppose for whatever reason, some may not like their eggs.

Regards :)

rollyard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:02 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

top work david mate, 8)

regards jase

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:04 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

David well researched. Can you do a profile for mamoths? Weights would be a lot bigger.
The description of a white muscovy bill refers to yellow or orange? on the bill please change to white/cream and or red/flesh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:47 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

As far as I was aware their is no weight to define mammoth. David has stated the minimum weights from the standard- obviously their is no maximum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:01 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

bushman asked
Quote:
Can you do a profile for mamoths? Weights would be a lot bigger.
The description of a white muscovy bill refers to yellow or orange? on the bill please change to white/cream and or red/flesh.

According to the standard the bill colour for
white is yellow to flesh colour
Black-red or black
Black and white-black to red
Blue-flesh
Blue and white-flesh
Bronze-flesh to black with lighter shade at tip
Bronze and white-flesh coloured to black
Pied-flesh coloured

No maximum weights in the standard for muscovys :)

On re- reading the standard I believe we need to re-write the normal muscovy standard as the standard seems to cover the mammoths well except the weights of course.Just another train of thought :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:37 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

bushman wrote:
David well researched. Can you do a profile for mamoths? Weights would be a lot bigger.

As Macl27 said the standards say white birds have Yellow to flesh bills

and every thing for mammoths would be the same except for their size/weight and everybody has mixed opinions on what it would be as it is not in the standards

thanks for everybody's comments

Ps. could TOH or NellyG please link this to the list of breed profiles :)

Regards David