Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - eye discharge

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: eye discharge
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:51 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have two muscovies today that have a bluish discharge in there eyes, it seem a thick consistancy, they dont seem to be sick in any other way, eating well and acting happy, should I panic, I will post pics tommorrow.

Post subject: Re: eye discharge
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:05 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I haven't seen a blueish discharge before so have no idea. My drakes will get a frothy clear very fine fluid around the eye at times which isn't significant as far as I can tell, its a mechanical type thing I feel and not infection related. But the blue colour is puzzling.

Sorry couldn't help.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:27 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I have never heard of a bluish discharge either, may be a vet trip in the morning if you are really concerned for them:)

I really dont have a clue, like rollyard mine get a clear bubbly discharge from time too time which has no adverse effects.

Honk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:01 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes it is frothy or bubbly, so maybe the same thing, it isnt really dark blue just a slight tinge to it, why does this happen ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:39 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Maybe one explanation, and the only one I can think of at the moment for the "blue colouring" of the frothy layer over/around the birds eye is due to the influence of the background colour of the birds Iris (that is in blue eyed birds of course). As for the reason for the frothy/bubbly clear fluid in the eye itself; well I have always believed it to be a mechanical thing as have mentioned earlier. Maybe a combination of air backtracking up the birds nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) due to pressures exerted in the throat/nasal area and exiting at the eye, where it is further airated by the action of the eyelids.

That was what I have felt but concede that there could be more to it, and it could be something totally non-related to what I have said but cannot think for the life of me what that could be other than infection. It occurs in my birds individually periodically, and usually both eyes at the same time from memory. Whatever the cause, it creates absolutely no apparent problems for the birds, and usually goes as quickly as it appears. It can be evident in a bird in the afternoon but gone by morning. Did a quick search this AM and found the following which does cast some doubt on my theory but may be of interest and help with your own conclusions. When you work it out indubitably would you let me know :) Hope this helps.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/20c ... arge-ducks

Regards :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:07 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I shall do that, thnx :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:11 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Just happened to notice one of the young drakes with the "frothy eye" condition this morning so thought I would post a picture for you to compare. Yes, both eyes are affected. If you look carefully you will note that the froth is composed of clear thin liquid. But there is no overt evidence of pus or discolouration as may be expected if infected. No inflammation evident. Still, something could be going on further along the duct??

The froth is moreso at the lower front corner of the eye, about where the "tear duct" drainage openings could be expected to be. One could I suppose conclude that yes, there is a temporary blockage somewhere in the duct, but would have to be something which affects both ducts wouldn't it.

Whatever the cause, it would appear that the clear fluid that protects & lubricates the eye isn't draining away currently. But as have said, the condition is usually only fleeting in my experience & I have never noted any long term adverse effects to occur.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:31 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

So weird that you guys are talking about this - it happened to me yesterday! I saw one eye of the drake frothing about lunch time and thought OH NO; we've had 12 days of rain straight and the sun started to come out yesterday, wet mud + sun = humidity and bacteria; the drake is getting a bit long in tooth and I had been thinking of replacing him soon but didn't want to lose him. He is fine this morning and going about fathering ducklings happily, so I have no idea what is was that caused the froth!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:39 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Hi guys,

This may be totally unrelated but I was reading an article on the internet today about raising ducklings for a school project and came across this paragraph. Not sure if its the same problem or not though.

"Wet eye" in ducklings is caused because the birds are not getting enough Vitamin A. The birds are not steady on their feet and may have a wet substance coming from the eyes. Ducklings need a large amount of Vitamin A which is contained in green feed. Stop this disease by increasing the amount of green feed given to the birds, mix some milk with their feed, feed a Vitamin A supplement.

Also googled and found this:
Bubbly Eye
This is a frothy watery discharge from the eye. It occurs most frequently in domestic breeds, and some like Pekin and
Muscovy seem to be more susceptible. Bathing the affected eye with salt water should resolve the problem. Ensure that the
pond/drinking water is kept clean. Sometimes being in an exposed area with no shelter or wind break can cause Bubbly Eye. If the symptoms persist consult your vet.

Thanks Roova

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:00 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

That is good info there Roova, particularly the bit about the Bubbly eye.

Nice to hear your drake is doing well Natobeth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:49 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Ok, here is the link for that info provided by Roova http://www.waterfowl.org.uk/docs/ailmen ... medies.pdf

Good info and helps fill the puzzle, but a little more info would be good. The "Sometimes being in an exposed area with no shelter or wind break" tends to suggest to me that the cause could be more related to irritation of the eye as opposed to infection or blockage. So maybe not a blockage as such, but more an inbalance between increased fluid production due to irritation from the elements, and drainage capacity??

:lol: :lol: I really don't know to be honest. But one thing I am quite sure of; Mrs Muscovy is not alone :lol: And maybe, Mrs Muscovy is a little more enlightened than she was 8)

And, I did notice one of my older drakes with "Bubbly Eye" this arvo, but I bet it will be gone by morning!!

If nothing more, at least we know what to call it now thanks to Roova :D "Bubbly Eye" it is :P