Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Showing geese

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Showing geese
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:15 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Could someone please point me in the direction of hints and tips re showing geese? I've read the sticky but need lots more help to see how much is involved etc.

I've shown Persian cats so I figure it can't be any harder than 1 hour washing and 3 hours blow drying per cat.

Post subject: Re: Showing geese
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:24 pm 
geese would be one of the easiest poultry to exhibit, as 80% of the exhibition preparation is handling the geese, so they are gently and quite at the show and during the handling by the judge.

Plus if you can train the bird to wash themselves before a show, is even better. This may sound stupid or hard to do, but it is not. When I give fresh water (in a children’s clam shell) to any of my waterfowl that are penned, they all (80% and a good reason to cull the 20% that do not ) wash them themselves. This is even better if white and big.

Then I do their face and legs just before I cage them for the show and wipe off again just before putting them into the show cage.

Then next important show preparation is the same as all poultry, good feed all year round and for geese that is fresh green grass, (which is very hard to do in Australia)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:27 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

It depends somewhat on breed and your soil colour - however some basic rules often help.

I will go through what i have to do, but i have shocking red clay that sticks to them like a magnet.

All year round i try to keep them in a clean environment since moulting, providing ample water for them. Its best to keep males apart as they will tiff resulting in broken feathers.

The week prior to the show i will wash them early on if nessecary with a mild soap, and allow them to dry off. Its important that they are kept indoors after a bath, so their feathers can adequately re oil. I keep them on clean rice hull litter as it allows the water to drain away, rather than absorbing it and making them cold. The legs will need extra attention as they often get caked on with soil. Use a nail brush to gently remove soil and grime. I also remove them from the grass paddocks and keep them solely on wheat/pellet mix to flush out their insides preventing green stains.

The night beofre the show i use baby oil on the beak and legs. to shine them up, and keep them in a pen with enough room so as they dont sit in their own manure. Green grass stains on a white birds dont quite look the part. Allow them to have plenty of feed/drink as they shouldnt get too much prior to judging.

On the morning i reapply the baby oil, and do any touch ups to the feathers with a damp but not overly wet cloth, using too much water sometimes means they wont dry in time prior to judging.

You can give them a little water prior to judging, but some will make a mess of their feathers unless you stand over them allowing them to drink and not play. A little bread often goes down a treat and helps to fill their crops.

Honk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:39 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

This information is fantastic, thank you so much.

I'm thinking of showing a Sebastopol. Of course, I need to figure out if he meets the standard. It's not enough for me to think he's lovely. I've looked for the standard online but can't find it. Is it available this way or only through the book of standards? I believe this is out of print at the moment?

At what age can you start showing them?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:07 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

try puting a picture up we may be able to help you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:30 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I'll take some this afternoon if and when the sun comes out!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:09 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Here's a photo, not a great one but then I'm a lousy photographer.

I think he's 4/5 months old at the moment.