Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Funny coloured ducklings!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:05 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Would be interested to hear anyones thoughts on them.

First two photos soon after hatching

Just over one week old with two older ducklings (same parents)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:13 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ross, they look to be a mix of dark and standard khaki campbells. The strain we had on the farm were standard khakis - same as the lighter down colour - brown dilution dusky mallard. They look like rippers. Have you forwarded the pics on to
Kieth? Would be good to get his input.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:22 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

They're just gorgeous! Something's wrong though...they don't appear to be mussies!

If they are Khaki Campbells I was wondering why their older siblings have mallard colouring. Out of curiosity what did their parents look like?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:32 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

bushman wrote:
look to be a mix of dark and standard khaki campbells. .

would have to agree at this stage, although the paler coloured ones are considerably lighter than our khakis at hatch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:35 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Roova wrote:

If they are Khaki Campbells I was wondering why their older siblings have mallard colouring. ?

because the older ones look to be dark campbells

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:09 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

:oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

aghhh, they're soooooooo cute!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ross - looks like one cull - the dark campbell small duckling with patch on neck which will grow out as a white patch on maturity. I can't see from the pics but worth checking under throat/billfor any sign of white patches as there is a good chance they will throw out something if they were from the campbell duch with the white feather or 2. Looks like they have very good stance for their age if they are khakis - but knowing you they are probably some sort of Guatamalan cactus duck!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:17 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

"Guatamalan cactus duck" I like it :lol:

Thanks for feedback, all great thoughts :)

Glynn, I did notice white on the chin of one of the oldest ducklings but hadn't looked closely @ the rest so good pick up on the white on neck/chin. Out of thirteen ducklings in total three do have some white spotting that I can see @ the moment.

RNB, the brown ducklings are lighter than the few pure Kharki ducklings I have hatched & have been wondering about this too?

Rachel, they aren't mussies is true, but they are little beauties. The two older ducklings are bred from the same stock birds as all the younger ones. All dark ducklings are dark campbell coloured & the brown ones should be kharki. I have pics of the parents to follow & one may be familar to you.

sjh2010, yep, real little cuties

Eight ducklings are dark-ish & five brown, & they are Campbell bred, @ least on the Drakes side, with the duck being Campbell-ish type but from unknown breeding. I used her mainly for her colour ie dark-phase dusky. She does have a white patch on left side of breast.

There are a couple of other things that the ducklings colour/pattern tell me about them. Pics of parents may help with one & it has to do with the brown dilution gene?

Ducklings with some white on chin & neck

Legs, feet, & bill colour have been altered by one gene.

Dad = Kharki Campbell

Mum = Dark-phase Dusky (Dark Campbell colour)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:39 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Such cute ducklings - lucky you Rollyard :)

Chickens are nice, but you just cant beat ducklings!! :rofl:

Catchya
Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:18 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I was nearly going to post earlier today to ask if you were able to post pics of the parents. Not having Campbells for many years I was interested to see them - as I always had babies hatch exactly like the parents and no real noticeable colour variations. So - I hope this means you will also keep us updated as to how they grow out?? Would love to see them again fully feathered.

Very cute...almost makes me wish I had a greater variation in colour to the ones I have been hatching lately....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:15 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Hi Rosie, I think you may be biased but with good reason, & I think I agree with you too :)

Alicia, I will certainly try to update photos as they grow, & am also looking forward to seeing them when feathered out :)

One of the reasons I did this cross was to see/test the colours produced. This was a sex-linked for colour mating. Both birds (as far as I know @ this stage) are dark-phase duskies. If pure then the duck is md/md, Li+/Li+, D+/-, & the drake is the same ie md/md, Li+/Li+, but rather than having the "not brown" gene (D+) like the duck, he has the brown dilution gene d, so he is md/md, Li+/Li+, d/d.

In the adults the drake is brown (kharki) while the duck is dark. If the duck had the brown gene she would be brown (kharki) also, & if the drake didn't have the brown gene he would be dark. The ducklings should be the opposite to the adults as they are, so when looking @ the above ducklings the five little brown ones should be girls, while the eight dark ducklings should be boys.

The brown-dilution gene (d) is recessive, while its allele "not brown" (D+) is dominant. The drake (d/d) has passed the brown dilution gene onto both male & female ducklings (dark = boys & brown = girls). The duck only has the "not brown" (D+) gene to pass on & that has to go to the boys (because it is on her Z chromosome, all her w chromosomes are passed to her daughters). Male progeny will therfore be D+/d (D+ from mum & d from dad), but female progeny will be d/- (d from dad & nothing (-) from mum because the small w chromosome she passed to her daughters has nothing on it).

As such all the male progeny (D+/d) are dark because the "not brown" (D+) gene is dominant over its brown allele (d). But all female progeny will be brown because the single brown gene (d) they have inherited from dad is enough for the trait to express (no competition from the more dominant "not brown" (D+) gene).

Time will tell, Cheers :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:54 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

they are very, very cute!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:03 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hi mate, just getting to this now, sorry! I agree with everything you've written and knew what I was looking at as soon as I opened the post up!
I find it interesting that the leg and bill colour in the down stage ducklings are dark now, and I presume that this will change as they get older, the d/d, which should be females, will have the same colourations as dad.
Now, you know what I want you to do for me . :biggrin: . . . . .cross d/d to 'bronze' (potentially f/f) coloured muscovy and find out if d/d is an allele to f/f. Reportedly (both crawford and hollander I think) ch is allelic to d/d, so it would be nice to know if our bronzes are too . . .
Hmmmmm, I also note that the 'f/f' muscovy hatch with dark beak and legs that very rapidly change to pink beak and yellow legs, so maybe that is an indicator of the potential there . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:31 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Thanks Black :)

Hi Beth, nice to hear from you :) Yes, I too have read about brown dilution d (mallards) & chocolate ch (muscovy) being allelic (Crawford, p. 389), & both are recessive & sex-linked. Faiogeno (bronze) on the other hand is reportedly a different mutation & although a recessive, isn't on the Z chromosome, ie it is autosomal. I think you may have your own little research project going though to test this for yourself which is great, & hopefully your findings will help you & others with colour breedings.

Hope all is going well with all your other projects also, & I know you have lots on the go. A true mussie connoisseur :D