Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Has anyone had their Muscovy Drake fall in love with them?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:57 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I am new into Muscovies. About 5 months ago was looking after a friends incubator and 2 ducks hatched. I decided to bring them up and they watch Master Chef with me ( hand over the eyes when duck recipes came on ) for about 6 weeks and then went outside.

I have always played with them and they are super friendly especial the drake. He has now started jumping on the his 5 girls. When I come out into the garden he has always been the first one to come up and wag his tail and want food. I rub his chest and tickle him.

Over the past few weeks he has been running to see me either when he is out in the garden or running up and down the pen fence. At first I thought he just wanted a treat and a tickle but now he is following me and biting the back of my leg and a bit over excited.

I need some input for those who have had Muscovies for a while to see if he is taking more of an interest in me than he should. He is not agressive but over friendly.

Cheers
Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:51 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

He sounds very much like my Monty.

Monty isnt a muscovy- but the hand raising... following and biting of legs all sounds the same. The fact that he has some females with him is good- but I suspect that since you hand raised him- there is some kind of identity crisis and he sees you as one of his own kind. Drakes will of course still try to mate with their mothers.

I have at times had to train Monty not to bite me by dominant behavior such as picking him up and carrying him so he cant bite me- turning him onto his back - and also putting him up on the trampoline so he cant get to me legs and feet while I am outside.

Some people say it is behaviour of an over protective male who is bitting as a way of keeping you away form "His Girls"

Either way- training can help stop it- it seems to be a hormonal thing with Monty - sometimes ( such as spring ) being worse than other times during the year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:00 pm 
Thanks Alicia- you have advised just what i thought being a jealous husband of Shayne :rofl:
Our Drake has just started jumping on one of his girl's backs (and spending a lot of time pulling her wings out to the side while facing the wrong way... flattening her right down to the ground... not that i've been perving :oops: ) so being at that age, and being spring, i guess he is a raging ball of hormones and surrogate mummy is lookin' gooood. :rofl:
It is definitely not a protective thing over the other ducks in his case, so i guess Shayne will just have to teach him that its not on. She has plenty of practice telling me that so i think she will do just fine :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:12 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

LOL..dont be jealous of the duck...Take it as a good compliment on your own choice of a wife.

Better to get the training started sooner than later by the sounds of it then... I copped a bite on my forearm yesterday that has left a nasty bruise. He usually just gets a beak full of pants- or goes for my shoe laces - but I was pulling out a weed at the time and he got my arm.

Monty will run to the back door every time it opens and come straight for my feet. I pick him up straight away rather than try to walk along with him trying to run beside and bite at the same time. I had the problem back in January- i had two week off work and just kept walking outside and either picked him up or turned him onto his back. after 5 days he had stopped. Now thats its spring- he is doing it again and i am going to have to fence him away from the back door as well to help try to break his nasty habit.

Hopefully he will soon be more active with the ducks and leave Shayne alone more as time goes on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:17 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

taylorducks,

Thanks for that. He sounds just like Monty. I have been picking Dave up but he soooo heavy. I will try turning him over onto his back.

His girls are also still young so hopefully as they get older he will take more interest in them than me. I also have another two younger ones for him. I am sure 7 girls will keep him busy.

He is not trying to keep me away from his girls, I think you are right about the identity crisis.

Thanks Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:44 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Friendly word of warning... I unfortunately speak from experience... :roll: Be carefull with him.
I had one a few years ago, named Herman. It started out innocent enough and it was kind of funny. But he got obsessive... and his constant attempts to mate with any part of my body he could get at saw me sustaining injuries. He was a powerfull boy and they get some claws on them that can rip you even after a trim.
He would climb the vege garden fence to get at me, I could never turn my back on him. One day he snuck up on me in the shed I was kneeling down and I heard the beating of wings and panting and then a terrible pain as if my ears were being torn off, he was on my HEAD with his claws in my ears he had my hair in his beak and he was going for it. That was bad, and it only got worse. He started following me to the front gate, Ok CHASING me to the front gate, I would push him back with my boot while I squeezed out the gate and slammed it shut behind me and walk down the street, he would be RUNNING down the inside of the fence following me as far as he could. Eventually he worked out how to get over the fence and took to running after me down the ROAD. This was when I lived at Tahmoor. Oh yeah people were slowing down in cars watching the mad chicken farmer girl doing a dance on the side of the road with a massive muscovy drake humping her leg. People took pictures.
Then I had to get him back inside and get out of there without him seeing me go.

He started attacking male friends who came to visit, my best friend the taxi driver who had been on crutches his whole life.. Herman attacked him and poor Steve was jumping around on his good leg fighting off herman with his crutches while I tried to grab him. He attacked my father... who was suprised how strong a drake could be... I didnt have the heart to kill Herman and couldnt re home him so I dealt with it, he even moved down here with me. I got him more girls but I was still his favourite. In the end... King got off the deck one day and made a bee line for herman... that was the end of Herman.

So I am weary of getting drakes too tame these days.... mainly muscovies that is. Most will never be as bad as him but I do warn people. They start off cute and funny and I am sure there wll be people in fits of hysterics reading this trying to picture me dancing on the side of the road with a horny drake hanging off my leg but when they draw blood and wng beat you it isnt funny anymore. He even tried mating with my poor old blind goat who couldnt even see him comming, I would know about it by her desperate cries for help, she ran in circles everywhere because she could slightly see out of one eye... so there would be poor old Camilla running in circles with a bloody horny drake chasing after her and ripping out chunks of mohair.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:12 am 
Dear oh dear Chookster :rofl:
I think ours is well on his way to being a little monster too...
He has only been running to and biting Shayne for 4 days now, and yesterday afternoon when she locked up to coops, he ran and flew to her, not getting the altitude of his slimmer girls who can clear it he went crashing into the coop chookwire fence :shock: He then dusted himself off and did it again and again frantically trying to get to her as she walked away to the house :shock:
I think its time now, as mentioned, for some urgent training or he will just hurt himself... or someone else...or a blind goat...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:58 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Sarah, That is very funny but I am sure it wasn't at the time.
Dave is not that bad thank goodness and was very well behaved this morning. He was more interested in his breakfast than me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:18 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I can laugh about it now, I just don't want to see you get hurt. Keep him with his own kind for a while and limit petting... he has to know he is a drake and drakes mate with DUCKS. Not roosters, goats, women or anything else that moves.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:43 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Ok I had a big chat to Dave this afternoon and explained to him that he really needs to pay more attention to his ladies instead of me.

He ran over to me this afternoon and started biting my leg and wagging his tail again. I could not roll him over so I held him down on the ground for a while. Everytime he went to bite me again I held him down. After awhile he just walked away and went back to his girls.

I will keep doing this each time he bites and see how we go.

Wish me luck

Shayne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:24 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Good luck... took more than that to stop Herman... actually even the rake didnt stop Herman he just thought I was playing hard to get ... lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:06 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

An update on Dave.

He has gotten better in the mornings now. I can go in and feed everyone and he just wags his tail and talks to me but no biting.

He has taken to hanging around the car park area waiting for me to get home from work and that is a bit of a problem because once I get out of the car he is all over me and I have work cloths on. He tries to follow me into the house. Thank goodness he is a bit clumsy and I can get in the door alot quicker than he can.

He has also taken to watching me through the windows of the house. As soon as he sees me he comes running and I have to move away from the window so he does not try and fly at it.
That would be all I need. A large drake through the bedroom window.

On a brighter note the gumboot on the back is working. When he comes running to me I let him hang around until he starts to bite. He gets really worked up and I find that if I put my gumboot on his back and hold him down until he relaxes and calms down he is ok after that. He just follows me around while I am feed everyone or looking at the plants etc. He does not bite. He is just happy to hang out.

I think there is hope yet for Dave as I would hate to have to get rid of him as he is such a character. Thank goodness it is only me he has this infatuation with and not visitors.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:44 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

:rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:03 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

i have a muscovy drake who is in love with me too. i must admit that lately he's been trying to get me. i can not turn my back on him. all that darn duck wants though is to sit on my lap :roll:

when i walk outside he stops anything he is doing to walk to the side of his pen to greet me and wag his tail.

me and my big baby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:12 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

chookster wrote:
Good luck... took more than that to stop Herman... actually even the rake didnt stop Herman he just thought I was playing hard to get ... lol.

:rofl: your posts had tears in my eyes