Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - We've renamed the ducks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: We've renamed the ducks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

We "aquired" two harlequin indian runners on the weekend, thanks to Taylorducks.

They were called Huey & Duey, but they've been renamed!!

They are now "Nemo" & "Wayne"

Nemo was named after the fish because he's got a "lucky wing"
Wayne was named after Wayne Carey, aka The duck.

Last edited by Mr Winglet on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Love the new names. Very applicable :thumbs:

Mkh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:21 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Im so glad the boys have found such a good home. I only thought about asking Winglet on the drive out there on Sunday, but was prepared to have them home for as long as it took until a good home was found for them. I dont think I could have hoped to have given the boys to better new parents- and I hope that your first experience with ducks is a positive one. I would love to see photos of them as they grow and molt. I was tempted to keep Wayne around for a while to see how he turned out- he was a bit special to my daughter who was home the day he hatched- and she was the one wetting the membrane and helping the little one. The look on her face when she saw how he was positioned in the egg- she knew he was special straight away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:49 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Tonight was the first night that they trundled into their night-house more or less on their own. They're still not entirely sure where the door is without being directed in with the aid of two metal shelves, which I have in a sort of V-shape outside the night-house, which helps direct them to the doorway. The previous two nights, I've had to be more or less on top of them to 'push' them into the doorway. Tonight, however, once they were heading for the door, they trundled up the ramp by themselves (albeit a little clumsily) & made their way inside.

Wayne was given a swim in the larger of our trugs, whilst Nemo is yet to be convinced that we're not the enemy. It's sweet to watch Nemo panic when I pick Wayne up... he can't bear to be left on his own, but he refuses to be friends with me... yet. So on the couple of occasions that I've picked his younger pal up & carried him somewhere, Nemo is not far away, telling me off whilst staying just out of range. Once Wayne is put down again, it's as if they haven't seen each other for weeks ! They do that gorgeous duckbill groom around each others faces, and look just adorable.

They seem to enjoy the very thick, long grass here... it's like a lush carpet for them. Mr Winglet's plotting various 'improvements' for their wellbeing. Personally, I think he just enjoys watching Wayne splash about so much that he wants to be able to see them do it all day... so it's really for Mr Winglet's benefit that he'll be planning & building & making some sort of duck den for them. He doesn't want them to be unhappy... which is wonderful. I did rather worry that all his comments & ranting about getting ducks was a bit of bluster, and that once we had ducks he'd be uninterested in them. However, he deigned to come outside this evening when I asked if he'd like to enjoy a moment with the critters... and his first task upon stepping outside was to check that Wayne & Nemo were okay.

Oh, and as well as the softness on their webbed feet, they seem to eat a huge amount of the grass ! I've been scattering pellets & a grain mix near to where I've seen them foraging in the grass blades, as well as leaving them a container of pellets near their drinking/dipping water. So far I haven't seen them eat any of the pellets, but they do get a little overawed by the chooks at the moment. Each day they've been less concerned about them, but they are clearly still a little overwhelmed. They don't know what to make of the rabbit. For her part, Marilyn (said rabbit) has not yet played any tricks on them. She's keeping a reasonable distance whilst they get settled in. She does rather enjoy scattering the chooks by running & leaping at them. Then she stops & looks about at who has run off, looking rather smug with herself. She's scared of nothing, our Marilyn, but has chosen to give the ducks some space for now. Very good of her, I say.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:01 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Great to hear that they are settling in so well. Mine eat heaps of greens as well - they just can't get enough green stuff it seems like :lol: My drake loves the stems of things while the girls prefer the leafy bit. A win-win.

Give them some thawed frozen peas in a dish of water and see how they like that :thumbs: They will probably love any kind of melon too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:36 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Congratulations on your new ducks. If they are as amusing as my 4 (including one beautiful duck from Taylors ducks) then you can look forward to many laughs and giggles. They really are the funniest creatures.

Great names! We also have a Nemo ( a Faverolle hen) so named by my teenagers for her crooked feet ( an incubator cause but before I knew about the sticky tape solution).

Enjoy your new ducks

Kind regards.

Alison

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

70%cocoa wrote:
Give them some thawed frozen peas in a dish of water and see how they like that
As we have no frozen peas in the house, Mr Winglet has put it as the top priority when we go grocery shopping next.

We've been Googling free standing bath tubs & suchlike as an option for them to have their own swimming hole. Mr Winglet's sister, in Brisbane, has some ducks, and they picked up a cheap (possibly free) corner spa that they use as the duck pond. Mr Winglet is looking for something similar as an option here. This evening I managed to give each of them a paddle in the larger of the trugs. Nemo was most pleased.

They also spent a little time eating the grain that was strewn around for their benefit. You're right, Alison, they're very entertaining ! Everything they do is amusing.

When I went to herd them in for the night they were both already settled in their night-house. :woot:
I'm so pleased that they've figured out that it's safe enough that they can go in there all by themselves now. I'll spend the next few nights removing the V-shaped entrance pieces (kind of "L-plates" for their new home) from either side of the doorway. They're increasing the zone they feel safe in a little more each day... waddling a little further from their water sources, and a little further from their night-house.

I can't thank you enough, taylorsducks, for forcing us into instant duckdom ! I mentioned to Mr Winglet that if we obtained ducks for the drakes we'd have to get them several each. He asked why we'd need them. When I said, "For eggs", he told me (rather indignantly) that that's what the chooks are for. He's happy with the beautiful boys that he gets to check on daily... so it looks like Nemo & Wayne are going to be his two babies (not that he'd ever admit that to anyone). Again he was quick to agree to come outside this evening... and instantly went searching for his boys. They'd braved a little trip between our fence & the trampolines, and were hidden from his view by the trampoline mat. He looked most put out when he couldn't find them initially... and managed a huge grin as he spotted them !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Nemo is well used to going into a shed at night- so for him its really just a matter of learning he has a new night-house, Wayne on the other hand was still living in the lounge room - and was used to nightly cuddles with me- and then tucking up in a corner of the brooder with half a dozen others. But it sounds like Nemo must have led the way tonight. Good boys!!

A spa?? You spoil your birds too much... Nemo was fine getting in and out of a clam shell- but Wayne was bathed inside each night- so carried form the lounge to the bathroom and back again.. :( I kind of miss bathing 30 babies every night... But am enjoying the extra time I get to spend with the 4 remaining little ones now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:00 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Yeah, go the clam shell. Mine are happy with theirs and it won't use anywhere near as much water as a spa. Easy to tip out (especially if you attach a drain to it) and move about the hard so one spot doesn't get too slushy.

This morning I have 4 new ducks - 4 arrived from Kylie (Booth) yesterday. They are all out in the yard puddling and splashig around in the bog garden which I have filled to overflowing with water. Happy ducks! They are all getting along really well. Not like introducing new chooks at all......

Glad to hear that your new boys are settling in well (though I have no doubt that they are missed).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:47 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

70%cocoa wrote:
Give them some thawed frozen peas in a dish of water and see how they like that.

Will IGA generic ones be OK??

Also, following on about the swimming arrangements...
I called a guy last night who was selling a claw foot bath, but it didn't have a price. When I called the conversation went like this:
Me: "How much do you want for the bath"?
Him: "Make me an offer"
Me: "I want it for free, cos I want to use it for my ducks to swim in"
Him: "I'll see if I get a better offer, if not I'll call you over the weekend"

He called me at 2:00pm today and said we can pick it up for free by 8:00pm tonight!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:01 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

That's awesome about the bath!! You can put a drain pipe in the bottom with a valve (tap) which will allow you to drain it. You can make a ramp and deck so they can get into it. And put something in it so they can climb out when it's not full (they'll splash a fair bit of water out).

As for the peas....I actually get McCains Baby Peas. Cheaper ones sometimes look a bit dried out. But the ducks would be perfectly happy with Black&Gold.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:16 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Congratulations on joining the duck fraternity! There's no going back now :biggrin:

Regarding the bath the only thing I'd be concerned about is how much water you're going to go through. Because they spend so much time in the water when its fresh, it quickly goes green with poo and dirt. If its in full sun you're going to have to empty it fully and scrub algae off the sides too. You're going to go through LOADS of water if you keep filling it to the top and it will probably become a chore rather than a pleasure :shock: . Good luck giving it a go though!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:51 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The bath has a few plans to make it useful.... it definitely won't be filled to the top with water ! :shock: I figure that some mesh shaped with a pyramid/dome to sit on the bottom (with pyramid/dome over the plug hole) covered with lots of gravel (or similar) should help reduce the water volume as well as filter a lot of the muck before it drains. Seeing how clear the water is in their large trug (and even the smaller ones they drink from) above the muck, which sinks to the bottom, makes this seem like a reasonable option to try. There will be a floating ramp to get in & out, with a stable platform at the height of the top of the bath for them. That way the water doesn't need to be anywhere near the very top of it. Algae will just be wiped off & allowed to filter through the gravel... although I understand that some species of ducks do tend to eat algae.. and with the volume of grass these two get through in a day I wouldn't be surprised if they take a liking to it.

It certainly won't be sitting in full sun. I already have a spot marked out for it that is in shade much of the day from a brick wall (no overhanging trees to drop leaves etc into it). I'll probably put up a shaded cover over it as well. It'll be near some garden beds, so any time it's drained the water & muck will go onto those.

With only two ducks, I actually think I'll use a lot less water this way than if I'm constantly changing water in a clam shell pool. Not to mention that I think the chooks will avoid going into the bathtub & drinking, whereas having water in a clam shell pool will be at the perfect height for them to drink duck-poo-polluted-water.... not something I want them to do too often.

If that plan doesn't pan out it doesn't matter, as I'll plant the bath tub up with edibles instead of using it for the ducks, and try a clam shell then. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:13 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Just see what works - you can adjust as you go along. I'd advise against the gravel though. The bath will be much easier to clean without it. Plus, because they eat a lot of vegetable matter their poo has heaps of plant fibres in it that will clog up the gravel. But you could give it a go and take it out if it's not going according to plan.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:35 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hello all...
So I went to let the boys out this morning, and found one of the black Australorps had spent the night with the boys!!
I'm not sure who was more distressed, as the chook was just about kicking the door down trying to get out and the boys were cowering in the corner of the coop.

Poor little fellas.

Oh I also let the other chooks out, blah blah blah chickens

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next