Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - My Saxony and Swedish ducklings 2011 season

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:12 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

It feels like it has been soooo long since I have had ducklings, finally I have a couple to show off :lol:
It has been a very slow start for the breeding season here, fertility has been (and still is) extremely poor in both the saxony and swedish.
I thought I would start a topic so I have somewhere to put photos of all the hatchlings to come (nothing like counting your chickens err ducklings before they hatch :wink: ).
We have had a lonely saxony duckling in a brooder on the kitchen bench for the last week.
It has been getting very spoilt (apparantly the kids have been having duckling withdrawals aswell as me!!! Hubby too has even been spotted several times giving it a cuddle or a bath 8) ).
It is very happy with the 3 new arrivals (2 saxony and 1 silver swedish) which hatched yesterday although a little unsure initially.

Swedish duckling I think this one will be silver when grown

Same as above

Same silver Swedish at front, Saxony behind
My daughters dolls house worked well for their photo shoot :thumbs:

Saxony on left and right, silver Swedish in centre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:27 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

They are all beautiful. Love the use of the doll's house as a 'set' - brilliant.

Can't wait to see photos of them as they grow up! And of all the ducklings to come.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:27 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

They are so cute, i have my first hatch of saxony from the group i got from you. Fertility has been running around 50% so far. i also have one little sweedish duckling from the drake my daughter got from you. she got him a mate. They make my heart melt they are so cute, until i see what they have done to the brooder, messy little rats. lol.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:55 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

They're just beautiful :biggrin:

Rosie&Harriet (Australorp), Freckles&Minnie (light Sussex), Henny Penny (barnie), Stripey Chook (Plymouth Rock), Spotty Chook (spangled hamburgh) & Blue Chook (blue Aruacana). AND a trio of Call Ducks! (Francis Drake, Dora and Amelia).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:59 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Gorgeous babies ..and gorgeous photos too. It doesnt matter if its a week or a year between hatches...ducklings can melt anyones heart.

Look forward to seeing plenty more on this thread as the season continues.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:07 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thanks for your comments, messy little critters they are indeed, I almost forgot how quickly they can mess up a brooder.........almost but not quite :biggrin:
Tough love around here tonight is there first night outside (it is very nice warm weather for them) the last 2 days they have enjoyed being in a rabbit hutch outside during the day, rather than inside on the kitchen bench. Hutch is right near the cloths line, so they come out onto the grass to have a paddle and do burnouts whenever I am at the line. My 4 year old loves to supervise their swims and break up grass to put in their water for them, he has missed having ducklings too.

morwennnamini congratulations on your hatchlings, as someone else on here often says, "without photos it didn't happen" :lol:
Did you incubate the eggs or use a broody?
I'd love to see your daughters swedish pair, what colour is the duckling?
I would be very happy to get 50% fertility at the moment :roll: The last lot of my duck eggs I set would have been almost 50% fertility, before that setting though it has been far lower.
My ducklings are going to be hatching in dribs and drabs rather than in big groups I think for a while, for example the next lot due to hatch only have 3 still kicking with about less than a week to go, and from the next lot due a week later I think another 5 or so still kicking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

A couple of the sax ducklings and our little sweedish duckling.
Hatched under a couple of bantam hens. Could only really fit four eggs under each as those saxony eggs are so big. Removed them from the hens after a few days and put into the brooder as pen space is at a premium.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:59 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

oh and the sweedish pair, Edward which is the one she got from you and Wilson (she got as a day old duckling, the name just stuck)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:56 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Hi Chris, thanks for adding your photos (sorry for delay in replying very rude of me but I thought I had replied already :oops: ).
I bet your daughter is happy with her little one, I love the dark bills on the blues (the black bills on the blacks are lovely too).
It will be interesting to see what the babies (or rather future babies) will be like from your swedish pair, the bib inheritance interests me. Looks like your blue duckling has a nice neat bib at the front, might just be the angle of the photo but it looks like it might go all the way around the back of the neck also.
Last season all my breeding birds had good clean bibs, but I did get some (probably plenty) out with messy bibs as well as some with good bibs.

I have had another swedish hatch 2 days ago, this time a black boy, very cute little guy. Unfortunately he is a lone hatcher again, well he has chick buddies the same age as him so at least he is not lonely. In a few days time I will put him in with the other 4 older ducklings. We had a photo shoot this morning and all were fine together.

So the black is 2 days old and the silver is now 10 days old

Silver Swedish on left 10 days old, 2 Saxony behind/beside 10 days old, Saxony on right about 20 days old and black in the background at 2 days old.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:02 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Gosh, you take such good photos. Looks like a model shoot for French Vogue.

That black one looks nice!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:28 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thanks Rach, but they are just the lucky ones from about 50 photos :oops: , it definitely helps to have an assistant, don't tell him that though or he will want a raise :lol:
I am happy with the black, nice neat bib at this stage, white wing tips, could do without the white under his bill but still happy with him.
One thing I love about the swedish is that you are able to get some idea of their markings at hatching, I know markings aren't everything, but you can pick on type and finer markings later on. I find my saxony have to all be grown out (except if they are obviously mismarked at hatch, which they shouldn't be but some are) to see what they are like. Preferably till 6 months old but in previous years I have had too many numbers to keep them all till that age, even though I would have liked too. It might actually be a good thing if this season is not as succesful as previous ones 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:36 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

How cute is that little black one, i did have a look and yes that bib goes all the way round lol. i have a couple of broody hens so i might set a few more eggs and see what i get.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

morwennnamini wrote:
i have a couple of broody hens so i might set a few more eggs and see what i get.

Oh yes definitely set some more eggs, seems a shame to let 2 broodies go to waste :thumbs:
If all goes well (fingers crossed) I might be able to offer you some better birds later on in the season for breeding if you are keen to breed them.
Not that your daughter would probably want to part with Edward but I would hope that I might have a better drake to offer you than Edward later on, although he is very handsome, he has a few things which could do with improving on I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:33 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

That would be great, i would also be up for a good quality saxony drake as i would like to keep some young ones from the saxony's as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:55 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

No worries morwennnamini, I'll do my best, hopefully I will get something out that will be suitable for you, fingers crossed.

A couple more Blue Swedish hatched in the incubator yesterday, one blue and one splash, also 3 saxony.
Also had 4 ducklings hatch (from eggs from Squeakers ducks) under a broody Blue Indian Game bantam.
She now has all 9 ducklings and seems quite pleased with her "kids" :lol:
And yes they do all fit under her......just....if she spreads her wings really wide and holds her tongue just right :biggrin:

Blue Swedish ducklings, splash on left, blue on right

And the 4 from Squeakers duck eggs