Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Need advice on baby wood duck please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:31 am 
Hello everyone

While we have raised ducks in the past (campbells and mussies) we have a new addition to our family this morning after finding the poor little fella in the middle of our dirt road.

It still has a yolk belly so would say its no more than a day old. Hubby thinks a fox has come through the family as the dam area where this little one would have come from was at least another kilometre away.

I did sit for about half an hour waiting to see if mum or dad would come back for it, but close enough to keep the crows and a magpie away. But nope, so went up to catch the little fella. Which wasnt hard as the poor little mite did the newborn shuffle towards me so fast it nosed dived into the dirt.
It was cold as, so I held it all the way back home where it chirped lightly before going to sleep.

MY QUESTION
Do we raise this little one as we do for domestic ducks?
Our ducklings are raised on unmedicated chicken starter with fresh and soften vegies, boiled egg yolks and fruit until they go to the main enclosure with the others.

We have three dams of which are well populated with wood ducks. But our wood duck babies are half grown now. This little one seems a little late in the season by comparison.

I have a mussie duck who will raise anything (she raised week old chickens last year). So we though we would let the little one settle today and tomorrow introduce it to 'Peas' to see if she will take him on. Peas lives on the dam and only goes to the enclosure when and if she feels like it, or for a feed when the pickings around the dam must be light.

Do you think this would be a good idea as well - to introduce the two and hope the little one doesnt end up with an identity crisis which would allow it to eventually join the wild flocks of ducks we have everywhere?

Happy for all opinions.

:chicks:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:01 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It's a wild animal. I would be calling your local wildlife rescue organization for advice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 am 
Lucy C wrote:
It's a wild animal. I would be calling your local wildlife rescue organization for advice.

Sounds like a great idea except the last time I called them was during summer last year after hitting but not killing a young male kangaroo.

Besides the fact I had three different numbers to call to get a person to actually answer the phone - I was then asked if we had a gun to deal with the problem as no one could come to us for about 6 hours :shock: :shock:

...................it was summer as I said, and it was already 25 degrees that morning with a schedule 38 degree day.
The young male was in the middle of nowhere, no water, no shade, nothing. :roll: :roll:

So to call WIRES in my area again .......... not unless it was the last resort !! :|

Sorry for the anger in my reply, but even others on our road have found WIRES in our area difficult to deal with. ( Wombats, echidnas, wallabies and the kangaroos have all needed assistance on our road due to the low human population but high native animal population especially those with young)

But thanks for your time in replying - frantically searching the net now for all I can find. Plus I have applied for a B2 licence incase the little one lives and continues to hang around in a domestic fashion which we hope not. Rather see the little one wild and free.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:46 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

That's a shame about wires. In the Mountains they're really good. I would put it under a light and raise it as a singleton day old mallard duckling. If your muzzie isn't sitting she's unlikely to accept a duckling. You could try but she may kill it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:52 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

The RSPCA in Canberra has a native wildlife section - just near the 'normal' RSPCA area. We took an injured Peewee there once and they were good.

Or - see my reply about ads for day old ducklings in your other thread.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:15 pm 
Lucy C wrote:
That's a shame about wires. In the Mountains they're really good. I would put it under a light and raise it as a singleton day old mallard duckling. If your muzzie isn't sitting she's unlikely to accept a duckling. You could try but she may kill it.

Oh Peas is a weirdo and will mother anything at most times. But caution is definitely what we will ensure just incase. But Peas has never shown agreesion towards younger ones, she'll display a disapproval of them being near her. She was hand raised, maybe this has something to do with it - who knows.

Yes the little one is under and infra red light, Mags has drank and had some soaked bread and I have contacted someone in the classifieds (thanks cocoa) for a dark campbell newborn for company.

Have also applied for a class B2 licence incase the little one decides to hang around in a domestic capacity........but hope not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:04 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Glad you found a little friend :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:24 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Chick starter would be the best food.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:54 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I use turkey starter crumbles. But either is good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:46 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Being a primary grazing species it is really easy to stuff up a wood duck by growing it too fast (and ending up with tendon issues). Stick with the chick starter (turkey starter and native ducks = renal failure and gout) as 1/3 of diet and greens for the rest. put the food at one end and the greens and water at the other to encourage as much activity as possible.

Breeder of Exotic waterfowl, wild type Muscovy, Dutch bantams, Phoenix and Yokohama Fowls.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:17 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have raised a wild duckling with my indian runners before. It stayed with us until it was able to look after itself then left us.