Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - what do magpie goslings eat? help!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 1:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:09 pm 
i have been given a gosling by my neighbour that he found in his yard. we have wild magpie geese here. what do i feed it and how?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:27 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Ruff, I had a bit of a search for info. The best that I can come up with at the moment is that Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary here on the Gold Coast has been raising one so they would know what you could feed it. It is one of the few waterbirds that are actually fed by the parents in the wild. Adult diet is waterplants and we learned in Rural Science that the Magpie geese became a nuisance to rice-growers in Northern Australia.

This is a link to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary website. There are a couple of .pdf documents that I haven't yet opened which could possibly be helpful?

http://www.cws.org.au/getcloser/join_us/

I'll come back later if I have a chance.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:32 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Ruff, Maggies are not that much different to swans. Just a couple of rules to follow - no greater than 15% protein, LOTS of greens, LOTS of exercise. Sounds like a lot of work but really just means pullet grower twice daily, as much as they can eat in 5 minutes, chopped greens/duckweed in a bowl and a waterbowl at the opposite end of a long enclosure (3 m) so they have to walk backwards and forwards between water and feed all day. This slows the growth as they are burning energy constantly and prevents slipped tendons from fat, pudgy, fast growing babies . It will also limit angel wing issues.

Danny

Breeder of Exotic waterfowl, wild type Muscovy, Dutch bantams, Phoenix and Yokohama Fowls.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:46 pm 
thankyou. i did not realize they would need feeding but was on the verge of force feeding it as all it does is grab the wet bread i offer it and shake it everywhere. i have it in a brooder with a bunch of mixed orphan chickens and they all seem happy. it sounds just like a normal gosling and responds to the human voice. believe me it will be free ranged as soon as i can get it out and it will have chooks to imprint on unfortunatly. i will get a photo of it and put it here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:22 pm 
here it is. will get a better photo if i can get it to eat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:06 pm 
here are some better photos. it nibbles at food but will not swollow. it still has it's egg tooth as can be seen in the close up of it's head.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:40 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Is it eating at all or just not much? Do they need water to eat?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:42 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

What a little cutie Ruff. I havent ever seen a Magpie gosling before and they are quite different to what I would have thought they looked like.

Hope all goes well with raising it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:49 pm 
believe me it will not stay like this taylorsducks, soon it will look like something only it's mother will love and stay that way till it moults into adult plumage.....an ugly duckling.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:02 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I actually find the feet very interesting too Ruff - the webbing more to the point. I had never realised that the webbing on a Magpie goose isnt as full as with domestic geese. Can you describe its voice at all? Does it at least sound like a domestic gosling?

If you are going to keep it around that long Ruff- I would love to see some updated photos as it does grow. I would be most interested to see the change it goes through.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Try it with finely chopped greens (cut up with scissors) in a bowl of water. Any greens - spinach, thistle, grass, chickweed, mushed up peas, Asian greens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:52 pm 
i will try my best at getting it to grow up. it sounds a lot like a domestic goose 9 j have not kept one for a long time). it responds in similar ways. it has already bonded to my daughter and the minute it hears her voice it starts calling her but i higher quieter whistle than a domestic goose. however like a domestic gosling it wants to be cuddled up to her. it had better hurry up and bond to the chickens as i am not having it in my bed or carrying it around.

i took it outside late this evening and it was grazing on the grass flowers. it was not strong enough to pull the seeds off and ignored them when i pulled the seeds off for it. however it was happy to follow me around nibbling on the grass. i have put grass seeds in the brooder and the chickens are chewing on them so perhaps it will copy them eating. i will keep them as a group (4 chickens and the gosling). they have a brooder lamp which does not generate light which is good.

if it lives i hope it does not bond on me or the other animals too closely and flies off with the others that live here and fly over head.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:42 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

what a gorgeous creature! i hope you have success in the feeding and watering of it :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:44 am 
well it is not easy getting this fella to eat. the only thing it likes is to graze on the grass seeds but it is not strong enough to break them off. when i do most time it ignors it.

we decided to try bird seed but it decided it was not what it wanted:

it does look cute:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:52 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Try it with some moistened food - say rolled oats or crushed layer pellets if you don't have starter? Even crushed grass or sedge seed heads - if you have the time & patience. If the parents do in fact feed these , as I read on one site, then they would be getting possibly regurgitated food? Do you have any pollard or crushed grain product? Beautiful-looking baby. Any flocks around that it may belong to?
Quote:
:
Waders: Herons, plovers, ibis, swamphens, moorhens
Natural diet Insects, small fish and reptiles (herons, plovers and ibis) Insects, worms, plant matter and seeds (swamphens and moorhens)

Ducks:
Natural diet; Grasses, seeds, insects and worms

From link above.

:idea: Maybe earthworms or insects - bits of - might be worth a try too?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next