Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Can pinioned waterfowl be shown in QLD ?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Danny, Pinioning is acceptable in bantam duck breeds and I have seen pinioned mallards go up for champion waterfowl at many shows (mine included when I kept the breed). I would urge any keepers of bantam duck breeds to pinion their birds, either within the first week or by cutting the outer tendon in the last wing joint as adults. The keeping of bantam duck breeds without pinioning leads to cross breeding with species such as pacific black ducks and is not responsible bird keeping.
Established judges do not penalise a bantam duck breed for being pinioned unless both sides have been operated on - which leads to the question of fraudulent tampering of a bird.
To re-iterate - pinioning is either the amputation of the end joint of the wing or the cutting of the tendons in the end joint as mature birds to stop flight. This is a permanent procedure and is similar to cutting the wing feathers in its effect on flight.

The british poultry standard (now we show by the Australian Poultry Standard) did make mention of pinioning and set out an allowance for the practice in exhibition waterfowl - from memory it mentioned muscovies too. I don't know what our current standard states in regard to the procudure.

I look forward to seeing your calls shown - not sure about the muscovies if they can fly!!
Glynn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Interesting topic. I was stewarding last year and got into quite a conversation with the judge about some birds. Within the same breed- some were pinioned- some werent- and at the end of the day after speaker to the owner of some of the birds I found out that some had also just had the feathers pulled out. I was told by the judge of the regulations for that breed and he discussed at length with me why certain birds could or couldnt be put up depending on the issue of the pinioning.

There was plenty of comparisons done between birds and the judge did point out some of the wing tip detail to me. Wish I had the forethought to take some photos at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:07 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

you would think that this should be mandated as compulsory for certain breeds so that they don't pose a threat to the native ducks as people have mentioned?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hermetic_Eggs wrote:
thats a good read, thanks.

It states that you should pinion ducks on day 12 before the wings start to grow.

Do you know the right time to do chickens?

As for the ducklings what happens if you do them before day 12?

12 days is just too long to leave them - anything past 10 days requires a vet by Victorian/NSW laws.
I do waterfowl at 2-4 days, groundfowl at 2 days.

Breeder of Exotic waterfowl, wild type Muscovy, Dutch bantams, Phoenix and Yokohama Fowls.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:38 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

bushman wrote:
Danny, Pinioning is acceptable in bantam duck breeds and I have seen pinioned mallards go up for champion waterfowl at many shows (mine included when I kept the breed). I would urge any keepers of bantam duck breeds to pinion their birds, either within the first week or by cutting the outer tendon in the last wing joint as adults. The keeping of bantam duck breeds without pinioning leads to cross breeding with species such as pacific black ducks and is not responsible bird keeping.
Established judges do not penalise a bantam duck breed for being pinioned unless both sides have been operated on - which leads to the question of fraudulent tampering of a bird.
To re-iterate - pinioning is either the amputation of the end joint of the wing or the cutting of the tendons in the end joint as mature birds to stop flight. This is a permanent procedure and is similar to cutting the wing feathers in its effect on flight.

The british poultry standard (now we show by the Australian Poultry Standard) did make mention of pinioning and set out an allowance for the practice in exhibition waterfowl - from memory it mentioned muscovies too. I don't know what our current standard states in regard to the procudure.

I look forward to seeing your calls shown - not sure about the muscovies if they can fly!!
Glynn

Tendonectomies are notorious for rejoining and failing as a deflighting technique so its a method that is rarely used these days, not to mention illegal to perform without appropriate anaesthesia. The muscovies are being bred back to wild type - I have no interest in showing them but if a buyer does want to I don't want them disadvantaged in the show ring.

Breeder of Exotic waterfowl, wild type Muscovy, Dutch bantams, Phoenix and Yokohama Fowls.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:46 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

DannyB wrote:
The reply from the SEQWA is:
, but if a Muscovy can fly it is too small to show anyway.

well i dont agree with that either,,especially when the 2nd standard depicts a judge should not judge on size alone, type should be the first concideration.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:55 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

bushman wrote:
Established judges .

Glynn,,,what critirea do you need to meet to be classed as established

bushman wrote:

I look forward to seeing your calls shown - Glynn

me too,,,,Danny do you intend to show at club shows or ag shows or both? and which ones?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:40 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

RnBs WATERFOWL wrote:
bushman wrote:
Established judges .

Glynn,,,what critirea do you need to meet to be classed as established

bushman wrote:

I look forward to seeing your calls shown - Glynn

me too,,,,Danny do you intend to show at club shows or ag shows or both? and which ones?

Probably club shows - it will depend on what else the schedule allows as I'd like to show the phoenix and Yoko's too but not as AOV classes. The little shows that I've looked at lately have all been a bit of a time waster so we'll only show the bigger venues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Quote:
DannyB wrote:

well i dont agree with that either,,especially when the 2nd standard depicts a judge should not judge on size alone, type should be the first concideration.
DannyB wrote:

Well I don't agree with that..What about heavy breeds eg pekin and rouens alot of the type is the size I hope they fix that up in the 3rd standards.
Sorry for going of topic.