Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Ticks on ducks and geese... with photo

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:33 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I thought it might be timely to warn people who live in paralysis tick country that both ducks and geese are vunerable to this tick. There was a case in Good Samaritan on the weekend and I found one on one of my elizabeths this evening.
I have come across plenty of people with waterfowl who don't even realise that they are susceptible to ticks and I'm convinced a lot of "mystery" illnesses and deaths are down to the paralysis tick.
If one of your birds looks sick or is off its food and especially if it is having trouble walking, check for ticks. I have pulled dozens off birds over the years and have only ever found them around the head or neck area, although I have heard of people finding them under the wing.

The photo below shows a fully engorged tick actually sticking out from the feathers, although I think I might have to sack the photographer :roll:

Sometimes they are not as obvious as this and can be quite hard to find, feeling for lumps while running your fingers through their feathers is often the best way. I try and check them visually at least once a day looking for any disturbance or lumps around their head/neck area, plus of course the obvious ones.

If you find a tick don't muck around putting anything on it, pull it straight out with a pair of tweezers. If the bird is showing signs of paralysis put it in a box in a quiet spot and in my experience it will fully recover in 24-48 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:52 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I have also pulled ticks of chooks combs - never a paralysis but still ticks. One of my muscovies got a tick on her face last year. The whole side of her red-bits swelled up and her eye was completely closed. Again must not have been a paralysis as I'm sure she would have been dead. I didn't have glasses on so couldn't check :oops: :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:23 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Thankyou, Squeaker, that is very timely and useful. I have added a link to this thread to the waterfowl index. I'll also link here to the recent thread that you refer to in the Good Samaritan Medical Centre that describes the symptoms of a duck with a tick.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Great photo regardless- as it gives a good indication to those who have no idea of what to look for. With just a small lump and a few feathers out of place they could be easy to miss- so having any photo as a guide is very good- thanks for taking the time to post it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:24 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

A very timely reminder & I should add that vets are warning that this spring is being put down as the worst tick year in a long time at present.
We are south of Brisbane & some dog breeders I know have had ticks in unbelievable numbers on their canines. One had 7 dogs down in less than a week!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Just to add to the discussion about ticks, I have saved dogs and goats that have gone done due to a tick.
The answer is injectable vitamin C, this works!
Either under the skin or IM it stings, so you may need another pair of hands to hold the animal or bird.
Give 5ml to mini foxy size dog, a cattle dog size dog would need 10ml.
15 ml for a goat, 20ml or more for a larger animal.
I would give up to 5 ml to a goose, 3ml for chicken, you cannot overdose it's only Vitamin C.
This also works for snake bite, we live on a farm that has a lot of brown snakes.
My mini foxyies hate snakes, as long as you get to the dog etc. quickly after the bite the dog has a good chance of recovery.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:10 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Interesting! How did you find out about the vitamin C? And where would you get the injectable version?

Note that you CAN overdose on Vitamin C - there's quite a lot of research on it - so you'd want to know the strength of the dose that you were injecting. I assume one liquid's strength would be different to another's.

Can you provide more information before people start rushing out and doing this?

there's been a thread on this topic before, here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8009160&p=544742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:40 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

This vitamin C was first raised almost exactly twelve months ago and the following is a response posted by Dr. Danny Brown, a qualified veterinarian with post graduate qualifications in Avian species. The following was his response to this same issue on Nov 11, 2011 here is BYP. Nothing has changed in terms of snake and tick toxin treatments.

DannyB wrote:
For the last 5 years I have personally treated approximately 60 snake bites a year in my Emergency practice.
Vitamin C has been repeatedly shown in clinical trials to be completely ineffective at treating Brown snake bites and ticks. All claims with regards to its success are anecdotal and rarely based on clinical evidence let alone proof of cause and effect. Excessive Vitamin C has a risk of causing systemic acidosis which in an animal with preexisting respiratory dysfunction is a recipe for disaster.

This is an urban myth handed down from a shooters journal to every dog/goat/donkey/turkey etc. breed magazine stupid enough to publish it. Don't risk the lives of your animals with this.
See
Snake envenomation in dogs in New South Wales
J. HELLER1, KL BOSWARD2, JL HODGSON1, FL COLE1, SWJ REID3, DR HODGSON1, DJ MELLOR3Article first published online: 10 MAR 2008
Australian Veterinary Journal
Volume 83, Issue 5, pages 286–292, May 2005

Mike