Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Inbreeding ducks, selective breeding and khaki X runner

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:54 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi All,
Is it OK for ducks to inbreed or will this result in mutated freak duck offspring. I.E Can you cross mother with son and sisters and brothers etc or will it spell disaster?

Also, does anyone know what the dominant colours are for Indian runners? My cousin has a black drake and its proving hard to find a black female for him. I was wondering if we got another coloured female and selectively bred for a few generations would we end up with black ducklings at some point. (hence my inbreeding question).

Lastly, do indian runner cross khaki campbell produce viable offspring or mules? They are both mallard stock yeah?

THANKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:32 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

All the Mallard derivatives, eg Campbell, Runners, Pekins, Saxony, etc, can interbreed successfully producing fertile offspring. Its only a Muscovy x Mallard derivative that produces infertile offspring.

A black duck you could use with the black Runner is a Cayuga. Its been used in the past to create black Runners. You then have to vigourously cross back to a upright standing Runner to get the stance and fineness back.

I'll leave the experts to explain line breeding. But in a word, yes, you can breed Mother to Son and even brother to sister for at least the next generation before new blood may need to be sourced. In terms of creating mutants, nature takes its course. Mutant ducklings usually don't hatch or you'll find they don't thrive.

Jacquie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:32 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I'm not sure of the parentage of our ducks and drake. Maybe they came from the same line, or had different mums. Dunno. But I did find, when they had ducklings at the beginning of the year, that the ducks were absolutely gorgeous. The drakes on the other hand didn't have the best colouring at all. Three of them had blue beaks and the heads were kind of flat on top and the sides, not rounded like the others. They looked a bit weird. We have a nest building up at the moment so we'll hopefully see how this lot turn out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:40 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Awesome, thanks for you help!