Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Ok I want some bantam ducks!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:54 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have decided I want some bantam ducks ,or call ducks,is there a difference?that is my first question.I have read that they fly,will clipping a wing stop them getting over my six foot fence? And will my indian runners have to be kept seperate?
Thanks for all the wonderful answers in advance! :duck2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:46 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Australian Call Ducks (as they are known) are a breed of bantam duck. Call Ducks only come in bantam size and do not have a large equivalent. There are other bantam duck breeds that come in large sizes too though - bantam Saxony, bantam Appleyard.... What do you like the look of in ducks? Any particular colours or patterns?

Clipping the flight feathers....you might have to wait for a bantam duck owner to comment on how effective that is for a 6 ft fence :) That is certainly an option though. Roofing a pen is another option.

Some bantam breeds are pinioned as ducklings, meaning they have the last joint of their wing cut off to stop the development of flight feathers. If anyone suggests this to you first check the animal welfare legislation in your state, as there are strict guidelines due to the cruelty factor. It's illegal in the ACT for example, except for pheasants for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:23 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

They need a slight runway to get off the ground. As with other birds and animals, any higher launching pad needs to be taken into account. A roofed pen is a safer option to keep your birds at home. If you live in town, you may need to consider whether the noise of their quacking could be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:17 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Oh my goodness! People complain about ducks quacking?

I've always thought I might keep some. I have had my eye on bantam Welsh Harlequin for years (clearly this is what I would recommend :-) ). I was unaware they quacked loud enough to be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:08 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ok,first the noise isn't an issue as I live at least thirty acres away from my nearest neighbour,the flying does bother me I think I will go with a roof on the pen,would bird netting be enough? The more I research them the more Ilove the look of them.Thanks everyone,anymore suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:34 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

they do fly well and I have birdnetting over the pens, mine also get some free range time and stay around I have had 1 duck fly off in 5 years ( out of a couple of hundred I have bred ) though some I sold / gave away have flown away.....as will all breeds some are noisier than others and female call ducks quack VERY loudly, my girls also chatter to each other on moonlight nights so if you have street lighting in suburbia that may be an issue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:06 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

honkcheep - if you have 30 acres I would assume you live semi-rural, or out of a town. You may want to also consider what kind of predators may be an issue of you were to keep ducks. A net over the top of the pen may not be enough to keep some kind of predators away from any ducks you may keep. Your runners may need to be kept separate especially during mating season.

Sonja -Complaints about noise will depend greatly on who your neighbours are as much as how loud the ducks are. I live in suburbia- and have had ducks here for over 15 years without a complaint and without some neighbours even knowing I have ducks. I have had up to 30 adults ducks in the back yard at times, and rather than complain- some fence sharing neighbours have asked if they can toss scraps over for the ducks and have from time to time even asked to come say hello without the fence obscuring their view.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:37 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks I will consider all options!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:31 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I have kept Calls in suburbia for the last 4 years (between 8 and up to 30 birds at once!) and yes it is great having nice neighbours who don't mind a bit of country. But if you have a shift worker or a sleeping baby nextdoor... noise from the ducks might be a big issue.
Now that I'm back in the country (yay) I've noticed that my ducks are quieter but they also don't feel as safe. I have an enclosed run with places for them to hide but the Wedge Tail eagles, hawks, owls etc scare the duck poo out of them, so they have become more wary and less vocal.
I also now have to worry about feral cats, quolls and Tassie devils.
A secure run is very important with bantam ducks. I keep a wing on each of mine clipped (gave up on pinioning because it didn't sit well with me as far as cruelty factor goes). I still have to re clip the ducks wings every year after a moult.
They wouldn't be able to get over a 6 foot fence, a 2 ft fence will keep them contained but if spooked they can get over 2 feet off the ground. I have mostly 3 ft fences in use. Occasionally one will get over a 3 foot fence, but only if the wind is in their favour and they have a reason to want to try to escape.
Most ducks won't leave your property if you meet all of their needs with food, water, shelter and mates. Why would they?!
I did recently have a drake escape from the yard in town. He'd finished moulting and had his flight feathers back on. I was trying to catch him to clip him and all my other birds. Well he took off..... down the street.
I door knocked and looked for him. After a few days of no luck I just had to resign myself to the idea that he may have flown into the yard of someone with a dog :( and was dead.
A week later he showed up out on our street, trying to get back in the gate to come back to his friends. I guess he knew where the food and the women were!