Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sick Duckling

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sick Duckling
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:27 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Poor wee duckling. I agree trying a supervised swim in a bowl of warm (not hot!) water might help it use its leg. The take to swimming - well like a duck to water - and are amazing to watch (but very very messy - water goes everywhere!) Fingers crossed for it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:48 am 

Vegemite wrote:
Your absolutely right I thinks it's a must to feed duck starter to your ducklings as its formulated to include Niacin, which is produced in the liver from the amino acid tryptophan which ducks cannot do very well. they do receive niacin from green feed things like silverbeet, kale, spinach etc.. But a combination of duck starter and green feed seems to works well for me I've never had a leg issue so far I think a pond also helps for getting weight off of those rapidly developing legs!

Yes, I went to a poultry nutrition talk put on by a stockfeed manufacture that promote the use of their Ckick Starter for ducks and when questioned about how suitable it was for duck he noted that certain nutritional factors were elevated to support ducklings and he spoke at length of the need for high levels of Niacin and that they didn't use a commercial medicated cocci medication but rather a herbal product that didn't effect ducklings or ducks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:02 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Yes, I am off Hayman Road... I feel bad for those animals!

Little Albus is still hanging in but his neck never straightened... I think he has wry neck... Is there anything that I can do or is it kinder to put him down?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:55 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

What company is that? sounds very interesting! All i see that person feeds their muscovy's is Whole tomatoes its ridiculous someone has came out and made them cut their muscovy numbers back but they should be coming out more and evaluating the situation as RSPCA is aware of whats going on. I saw they had a couple pregnant ewes die this year its disgusting to treat animals like they are an object if you cant responsibility look after stock people shouldn't be allowed to own them! i have heard massaging the afflicted area can help but only if its muscle related if its a deformity in the neck than unfortunately you may have to put him down it depends on the severity.