Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - FEMALE PILGRIM GOSLING?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FEMALE PILGRIM GOSLING?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:49 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hey everyone! I have recently got my first ever Gosling Gracie!
She is 1 week old and i have had her for 4 days.
I got her off a breeder and he had to go to take the day i got her so his dad waited out the front with her, i wasn't able to see the backyard where they were so i was a bit suspicious but let it slide.
She was the only bub left as all her siblings were eaten so I'm waiting on the next lot to hatch to get her a friend....some of the eggs already hatched but he didn't want to take one yet and they got eaten :( so there are 3 eggs left so lets hope he gets to it in time as Gracie needs a friend.
Gracie follows me everywhere, she sleeps on my chest and makes little trilling sounds when i pat her its so precious!!
I spoke to the breeder on fb and he said she is a FEMALE PILGRIM GOOSE.
I am now just suspicious about everything as he was not able to answer most of my general concerns.
One of them was are they supposed to feel boney when they are young? if so how long until they put on good weight? (he said he was not sure)

I asked what the best food for her would be and he said adult chicken layer mash....
After researching a lot of sites say to use starter mash designed for baby chicks??

Now i wonder if she is even pilgrim and if she really is female.

After researching more, if she IS pilgrim then her colouring suggest strongly she's a female but i just want clarrification :)

I would also like to know whether at 1 week old she is meant to feel boney, i feed her the mash watered down, she gets roughly 2 hours grazing on fresh spring grass in the orchard under my supervision (she loves her grass!!) and when she is inside i give her constant supply of it.
She also gets steamed rice, oats, small bits of carrot, sometimes berries etc

She poops mostly nice solid poops and sometimes but really she does a squirting diarrhoea type on but its only been about 5 times in the time I've had her.

are there any homemade recipes i could make her thats just as good or even better than any starter mash thats available?
i have a lot of time on my hands.

Any other feeding/care tips you have for me i would LOVE to hear it!! i love her so insane much and i want to provide her with the BEST care possible.

THERE IS A PHOTO OF GRACIE WITH HER MUM AND SIBLINGS, GRACIE IS THE DARK ONE ON THE LEFT

Attachments:
14939969_1652902235040595_4020298486175042774_o.jpg
14939969_1652902235040595_4020298486175042774_o.jpg [ 108.01 KiB | Viewed 1596 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:09 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Gracie and her mother do indeed look like female Pilgrims. The genetics that confers white males and grey females in geese give that little bit of extra white around the head on the female.

I'd be inclined to get some duck starter ration and use that to feed Gracie. A gosling, I believe, needs a bit richer feed mix than layer mix. Keep up the grass feeding too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:59 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

andrewschooks wrote:
Gracie and her mother do indeed look like female Pilgrims. The genetics that confers white males and grey females in geese give that little bit of extra white around the head on the female.

I'd be inclined to get some duck starter ration and use that to feed Gracie. A gosling, I believe, needs a bit richer feed mix than layer mix. Keep up the grass feeding too.

Thanks!!
I will get that duck starter ASAP :)