Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Duck to drake ratio

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Duck to drake ratio
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:35 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi, I'm new to keeping ducks and was wondering whether the 5:1 ratio still applies if you have say 15?

I wasn't sure whether the drakes will fight if we get 2?

We live on acreage and they will have plenty of space during the day, but would they need separate housing at night?

Thanks in advance :)

Lisa

Post subject: Re: Duck to drake ratio
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:49 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I have two drakes and never seen them fight. I can't remember anyone even commenting about drakes fighting. They can be a bit 'over-attentive' to the females if they are short in number however.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:40 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

What andrewschooks said. My ratio (mostly Muscovies) has sometimes been less than 5:1 with out any problems but plenty of space. I think that recommendation is more for the sake of the females as drakes can be very amorous.
re housing - ducks don't need any thing fancy. The main things to consider is security from foxes and ease of access for cleaning. They are very messy. Otherwise protection from weather. Mine seem to prefer shelter rather than shut in.

btw welcome to the forum. Do you have a particular breed in mind?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:07 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for the responses, it's great to know there are people around to help me!

Where we are living there is an old stable which we are going to 'update' for ducks. It's already partially been modified for chickens with a screen door etc so we'll be able to shut them safely away at night. Is it true about having to bury chicken wire to stop foxes digging under?
There is also currently a 'pen' too, it's quite large, maybe 20m by 8m, but the fencing is only 1.2m high and is not enclosed with a roof. Once they are big enough to go outside, will they (mostly) be safe enough during the day in here? I'm hoping so.....

Seems I'm on a roll with asking questions now! lol

I'm thinking maybe Pekins, because I like the idea of a traditional white duck, Cayugas colouration also really intrigues me as does Saxony. I seem to be drawn to 'heavy' ducks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:55 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

You will love having ducks :)

At night you will definitely need 4 walls and a roof and either a full wire mesh floor or contract floor or a wire 'skirt' around the outside of the enclosure. The wire skirt should be about 50cm, and overlapping the walls by about 10cm at least and clipped every 10cm with wire clips. Peg down the wire skirt with sturdy tend pegs and cover it with dirt.

With the day enclosure they will be reasonably safe without fox protection but there is still some risk. I let my ducks out into the yard when I am home and that means no fox protection. I have been lucky so far (touch wood!!!!!!!!). But anytime between late arvo and morning the fox risk is very big.

Ask all the questions you want!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:56 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

A 1.2 m fence will contain most ducks but some can fly. Young male mussies will fly until they get too heavy but my older females are all able to if the "grass is greener------"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:27 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

my Muzzie drakes fight come breeding time,even with lots of space , just establishing the order but they can be quite full on fights,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:32 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have Rouens. For this season I have 3 drakes and 4 ducks, next year I am planning to have 3 drakes and up to a dozen ducks. Mine free range during the day - no fox problem in the 35 years I have been here, possibly due to the electric fence. They know to come into a shed at night for a little feed and to lay their eggs in the morning.