Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Can geese be desexed?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can geese be desexed?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I just got two beautiful babies. They are the sweetest but I do think one is male and one is female due to their attitudes. The thing is they are brother and sister (maybe! I will be doing a DNA test to make 100% sure!!) I don't want them having babies when they are older. I wont be using them for anything they are purely here as family members. So getting her desexed if able is acceptable too if that is the only option, but I would prefer it to be the gander.
So can geese be desexed? I don't want accidental incest babies. :(

This is the first time I have had geese, but had chickens all my life and I know how crafty they are at hiding nests and sitting on eggs!! :clnava

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:10 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

If they produce offspring they will most likely be just fine and completely normal :) Don't think of it as 'incest'.

You could get an avian vet to desex your gander (or your goose) but it would not be cheap. As an example last year I had my vet remove a feather cyst from the head of one of my ducks and it was about $600. This was a very simple operation. I'm guessing that abdominal surgery would cost a fair bit more.

If you don't want them to hatch any babies then just be diligent in looking for and taking away eggs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:27 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

What Rach said re removing eggs.

IMO the incest thing is about human moral judgement, based partly on our ability to keep alive and reproduce from the results of incest (which may have undesirable genetic characteristics). In the 'animal world' familial mating is a regular occurrence and is an evolutionary advantage - ensuring that the fittest survive. If you somehow end up with unplanned goslings - it is 'normal'.