Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - **SAXONY DUCK BREED PROFILE**

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:27 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

SAXONY DUCK

Albert Franz began creating a new multi-purpose duck in 1930, by using the Rouen, German Pekin and Blue Pommern Ducks in is breeding program. By 1934 he had it all fairly well down pat, but by the end of WW2, few Saxonys remained, so he renewed his breeding program.
The Saxony Duck became an official recognised breed in Germany for the 1st time in the year 1957.
Later it was introduced in the United States in 1984, then not long after, Australia.

Origin:- Germany

Colours: - Only one colour is known to exist of the Saxony and that is its original base colour. (see below).

Eggs:- The females of the large varietylay large pearl white eggs. Overseas Saxonys are prolific egg layers, yet Australian standard size Saxonys are not as prolific. Hence why Saxonys (especially standard size) are not overly common.
Bantams ducks on the other hand are much better/more prolfic layers, that's why you will find the bantams of this breed slowly becoming more popular than the large variety.

Comments:- They are a general purpose breed of duck yet used and only known for/as Show birds. They do not grow as fast as some other breeds, and are inclined to change colouring several times, before they reach their prime adult plumage/colour. I would not recommend them as a beginners breed, as in Australia, they are reasonably difficult to obtain especially the large variety, (not so much the bantams), and to also obtain the birds that are as close to true breed characteristics as possible.

Cost:- They are reasonably priced due to them being an attractive non-popular duck. Good show specimens of good characteristics are a fair price.

Classification:- Heavy Breed

Exhibition:- Exhibition Saxonys (both sexes) need to have the following characteristics:
Carriage/Appearance: Strong, with a broad body and no trace of a keel.
Type-Body: Long and Stocky, with a long broad back that is slightly sloping to the rear. The Breast is to be broad and deep with no sign of a keel. Wings need to be neatly lying into the sides and not too long. Tail is long and carried closed.
Head: long and flat, with the bill of moderate length and width.
Neck: Average length and not thin.
Legs & Feet: Average length and set almost midway in the body.
Plumage: Lies close into the body and soft/light under feathering.

Exhibition Drakes need to have the following markings/colourings:
Head and Neck: Blue as far down to the white ring. Lower part of neck, shoulders and breast need to be a rust red colour, with slight silver lacing on the breast. Back and Rump: Blue-grey. Tail feathers and wings: Oatmeal with blue wing bars.
Bill is either plain yellow or with pale green shading.

Exhibition Ducks need to have the following markings/colourings:
Head neck and Breast: Buff with a white eye line. There is a suggestion of a light broken neck ring. Back and lower breast: paler buff. Wings: Cream. Wing Bars and Tail: A light shade of blue.
Bill is either plain yellow or with brownish shading.

Both Sexes: Eyes: brown. Legs and Webs: Dark yellow.
Avoid: broken Neck ring in drake, Pale eyes, Upright Walk, Slipped Wings, Coloured Nostrils, Dark under feathering, Brown head on Drake, White Bib, Any Deformity.

(Australian Poultry Standards 1st Edition)

Rarity: - Standard size Saxony Ducks are not a very popular duck overall, however Bantams are on the increase and becoming more recognised and popular.

Breeding/Selecting Breeders & Birds:- a lot of Saxonys are undersize, so it would be in your best interests to consider heavily muscled birds of good size in breeding. They are the best layer among the large breed ducks as well as being an active forager. So it is important to use breeders that are strong legged, active, robust and good layers of large eggs. Also select birds with rich clearly defined correct colouring as well as being moderately large, keel-less and solidly built. They are the main things to look for/select in breeders and show birds.
Breeding Saxony Ducks is very interesting as well as a fair challenge and very rewarding once you have your bird/s as close to the true breed as possible that you’re proud of.
Saxonys should have very beautiful soft rich colouring that is clearly defined. They are prone to discolour/fade under long exposure to the sun…. (Then you get your washed out look…..not good), so shade is necessary.

Feeding:- Usually Saxonys are active foragers, so ideally would not need as much feeding as Muscovys, however on the other hand as I have mentioned above, a lot of Saxonys are undersize, so that need to be taken into account for breeding and feeding.
Weights: Drake: 3.2 - 3.6 Kg
Duck: 2.7 - 3.2 Kg

Bantams:- There are bantams of this breed around and are slowly becoming more popular than the Standard size Saxonys, yet Bantams are not recognised in the 1 edition APS.

Links-
Forum:- http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/show ... hp?cat=569
Internet:- http://feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Sax/BRKSax.html
http://www.domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/saxony.htm
http://www.ashtonwaterfowl.net/heavy_ducks.htm

Edit: * Please note that this colour of the Saxony, is also known to exist in the British Waterfowl Standards as a colour of Indian Runner known as ‘Saxony coloured’ (just like Mallard-coloured, or Harlequin Coloured etc). There are very few breeders in Australia however, creating the Saxony colour in Indian Runners, I would be very surprised to see it in the 2nd edition of the Australian Poultry standards. *

Last edited by poultry1 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Saxonys
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:31 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for the ins and outs of saxonys :D We are new to breeding ducks and have started with both large and bantams :oops: The question I have for saxony experts is with the drakes how far should to claret colour from the chest continue down the body? We have been given conflicting opinions.
Thanks again :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:36 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Trudy, :D

the standards do not specify how far down the rusty red colour should go, however, it does state that the colour (rusty red) needs to extend from the lower part of neck, onto the shoulders and over the breast.
Now, The breast of a duck is that front protrusion (depending on the breed) that the base of the neck blends into. (if you weren't aware).
So, for the colour to be on the breast...that's where it should be and only be and not any futher down or shorter/smaller.

If you don't totally understand me, then go for a look at some pictures of saxony drakes. 8) Have a look at the internet links above, and see the colouring/marking on them....

Let me know if that bit helps... :wink: :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:44 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

poultry1 wrote:
Eggs:- The females lay large pearl white eggs. Overseas Saxonys are prolific egg layers, yet Australian standard size Saxonys are not as prolific. Hence why Saxonys (especially standard size) are not overly common.

I don't know about the large ducks, but I've found Bantam Saxony's to be excellent layers. better than half the chooks have been this year :roll:

Nice work. Beautiful ducks!

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:24 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Being Bantam Ducks....they should definetly be good layers full stop.
I should edit it, but can't find the edit button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:30 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Should be next to the "quote" button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:59 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Beautiful beautiful ducks

Well done poultry1

Regards

rollyard :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:16 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Better than Muscovys rollyard :?: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:21 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Poultry1's good work may convert me yet :lol: :lol:

But don't tell the other mussie lovers cause I might get into trouble :lol: :lol:

Regards :mrgreen:

rollyard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:30 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks Nick, I hadn't logged in...so no quote button. :roll:

Nick wrote:

no doubt about it :!: :lol: Any breed of duck especially the saxony are better than Muscovys!!! :shock: 8) :lol: :mrgreen:
(Just haing a go Muscovy lovers)

Thanks very much for the positive feedback rollyard :D :wink:

i've done other profiles, but the Saxonys seem to be a bit of a hit hey. :)

Let me know guys if there's anything else I could update/add. (as I do not own/breed/show them myself :cry: ... :lol: )
Cheers, :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:47 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

poultry1 wrote:

Nick wrote:

no doubt about it :!: :lol: Any breed of duck especially the saxony are better than Muscovys!!! :shock: 8) :lol: :mrgreen:
(Just haing a go Muscovy lovers)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well deserved positive feedback poultry1 :P Appreciate your hard work and effort

Regards :mrgreen:

rollyard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:34 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

better than a mussie :?:

jase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:05 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

yeah that's right :!: :mrgreen: Saxony's are better than those smelly hissing, battery opperated (with the tail and neck), big, fat muscovy's :!: .....lol........ :mrgreen: :lol: :D 8)
(Just joking)

Beauty is in the eys of the beholder but :D , everyones different and we need muscovys I suppose :roll: :mrgreen: (yeah for eating!!) :lol: :D :D
(Just jokking again)

Cheers :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:55 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for the info. As with all animals that have standards the answer is in the interpretation of the individual!
Keep on recruiting new saxony breeders the more the merrier! :D
Cheers :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:53 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hello,

I am in the south east Brisbane area and am interested in bantam saxony ducks. Does anyone know who breeds them in my area? Also if someone does breed them, and you reply, can you please advise a price for a pair and fertile egg prices. Thanks