Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - TWO DUCKS (out of five) GO LAME AT SAME TIME!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:05 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have a very strange phenomena occurring with two of my five Indian Runner Ducks. About three hours ago one of my two drakes went lame, can't put any weight on his foot. We examined, and foot is fine. I saw it happen, just while he was walking, no injury. But the reason for alarm, is that now one of my three females has come up with the exact same symptom, only worse. She’s languid and won’t get up. When I force it, she’s wobbly and can’t put any wait on her right foot! So it's not a feed or vitamin/mineral problem. Must be either a microorganism or something toxic in the yard they ate? They're not getting better after 5 hours... I have them separated and water nearby. Occasional drinks, but no food. Can anyone comment on what this might be, and what to do? We have no avian vets available here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:21 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

It does sound like a toxic response. Check their feed very carefully for any mould (could be any colour) and their water.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:52 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks Rach. Don't think it's their regular food, but we have a half-acre yard they run in all the time. We have cleared out all bad plants etc... but lately they have been slipping through the slats of our fence into another garden which we have not vetted completely. So two possibilities there: 1) we've noticed the rhubarb has been munched on a bit, 2) there was a birdbath on the ground which had filled with very black water (probably from them adding mud) which I had been meaning to clear out, but hadn't. I've seen them in there. That could have had some botulinum toxin...?? One final possibility: we have two honey bee nests in an enclosed area. Once again, they got in there and were grazing for about an hour until I found them and routed them out. Could they have gotten bee stings on the bottom of their webbed feet? Rare but possibility and I've heard of it. Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:37 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

With Botulism they usually have trouble holding their heads upright due to neck paralysis, why it's also called limber neck. Are you in a paralysis tick area? If so check around head and neck area, sometimes they can be hard to find.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:44 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

The rhubarb is most probably not an issue, likewise with the bees. But the black water would be a very likely culprit. Could be any kind of infection stemming from the water....bacterial, protozoan... Very good plan to check for ticks, as Squeaker says, if you’re in that kind of area. I remember at least one case of tick-caused paralysis in a bird on BYP.

Other than that...Just keep doing what you’re doing with them. Keep food and water in front of them. If they usually live together you can keep them in sick bay together now, to make it less stressful. Hopefully they will start to eat again. It might take a while.... Fingers crossed here.