Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Identify a mother duck's call

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:06 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

So I found an orphaned duckling and the mother appeared at sunset, managed to reunite both, but the mother decided to take the duckling over a goddamn ridge overgrowing with vegetation and now she couldn't find the duckling again (kept looking and calling for hours).

Now, the call is nothing like a quack (I live in the rainforest, by pacific seaside in Mexico, never ever heard a single quack), its a sort of sing you'd expect from other birds, it's hard to describe, it starts low/medium pitched, then quickly goes up to high pitched notes, kind of what could come out of a metallic flute/whistle. The duck looks just like a slender mallard (the duckling was black and yellow, with claws, good swimmer and could jump about a foot high) and the duckling made a high pitched call, similar to chickens, a quick piu-piu-piu, in rapid succession, sometimes making a loud, whistle like noise before managing to get to the piu-piu.

Been looking for this kind of mother's call, but the internet only shows the quack kind... might be able to find it with it (it's still rather warm, and not many predators roam around my pad).

Anyhow, does anyone has any idea of what sort of duck I'm dealing with? (Sorry if my descriptions sounds vague, it's my first time dealing with ducks).