Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Ducks and ponds

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ducks and ponds
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:33 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Will my Pekin ducks need water to swim in every day?

I seem to get conflicting information, I've read that they only really need a bucket they can stick their heads into, and that muddy water can harbour things and contaminate eggs. But then everyone I talk to says "Oh you'll need to get them a wading pool".

I'm not keen on a muddy pool breeding mozzies etc in my backyard. Will they be happy just to have a bucket of water (that I empty daily) and then to be let out on weekends into the yard with a kiddie pool full of fresh water for them to wade in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:52 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

A pond is not essential, however it does promote healthier feathers.

Ducks do need to be able to submerge their heads for feeding and drinking, also it helps to keep their nostrals clean.

If you can give them a bath once a week, and the rest of the time have a low bucket available so they can preen and drink with submerged heads.

Regards

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:34 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

hi quacky.
you dont have to have a pool for your birds mate i use plastic square and round containers you buy from go lo or the reject shop. and i move them around to a different spot each couple of days and then you dont have water and mud everywere .. if you wish to keep your pen clean. my birds also will get in them for a swim now and again if you want to have a place for your birds to swim you dont have to have a plastic clam shell kids pool like most people use . i use a plastic babys bath for my birds when i have ducks sitting on eggs . and also use them when i am going to show them . and also thay dont make as much mess as a clam pool .
hope this helps regards jase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:29 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thank you both :D

If you do have a plastic container or whatever how do they get into it? Does it need to be dug into the ground?

I hear they are good at tipping things over, would they tip over one of those baby baths you mention? Or a clam shell pool?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:08 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

the clam pools are great... we use one for our siberian husky too ! I never fill it though or its hard to empty... just put a small amount of water in then it doesnt waste water and its easier to maintain.
ps jase I love the baby bath idea .. thats cool. mind you no good for the dog .. she is a real freaking princess and would sulk for weeks :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:19 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Quacky,

I have Mallards and even when they have room in the baby bath a couple like to sit in their bucket ( strictly one at a time! ). I found a galvanized watering can worked well to keep them out of the drinking water.

Enjoy your ducks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:41 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

hi quacky.
heres some pictures of the plastic containers i use for my birds that you buy from go los or the reject shop i think thay are 9 liter. thay are heavy plastic and 1 of the baby baths i use i dont dig them into the ground mate . once i fill them with water my ducks cant tip them over and there muscovys . the babys bath my drake even gets in there and has a swim and thay stay a lot cleaner than a clam pool . and you dont use as much water to fill them as well . hope this helps
regards jase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:10 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for the tips! We don't have a reject shop here, but I'll have a look at the Warehouse and whatever other cheapo shops we have have in town! Something that is 9L would be good because I could empty it daily onto my garden and not worry about using too much water! They have a standard bucket at the moment, it's really high up for them so they can't really dunk in it.

The plants are loving the extra water! :D